Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
Glaceon Mage

Name Changes in English (Currently making a list in the OP, pitch in)

Thanks! That's the provisional name I'll give him until we know its real one: https://pinterest.com/frostare/dragon-quest-monsters/ So far I've nailed Donkey Xote and Grillerpillar and my brother got Illerpillar right though we don't have proof of those two. =P

Since we have existing games with Grillerpillar and Illerpillar, I think we can be pretty sure of those, right?

What do you guys bet they call the Ruins "The Temple of Zoom"...

• Upvote 1

What do you guys bet they call the Ruins "The Temple of Zoom"...

That'd be quite awesome.

Hahahaha LOL. It's quite possible since they called the Valentine's Day castle the "Lair of the Heart-Romancer" in DQMSL.

I noticed in the trailer that Kiefer and Mervyn( I'll be calling the characters by there new names since the 3DS version will be my first time experiencing 7) had titles like Prince Kiefer and Sir Mervyn. I think the other characters will follow suit. I think one of the ones will be Dancer Aishe.

I noticed in the trailer that Kiefer and Mervyn( I'll be calling the characters by there new names since the 3DS version will be my first time experiencing 7) had titles like Prince Kiefer and Sir Mervyn. I think the other characters will follow suit. I think one of the ones will be Dancer Aishe.

They won't. Kiefer and Mervyn/Melvin have those titles because one is royalty and the other is a knight. In real life they would be called that as well. That doesn't really apply to the rest of the party.

Edited by The Chief

Even then I'd still think it would be weird having two characters that have titles and the rest not.

I think adding arbitrary titles to characters that wouldn't be called by a title would be weird.

Wolfboy Ruff, Silent Hero (insert name here), Little No Good B(ad word) Maribel...

• Upvote 1

According to Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, "Young Boy Aluse" (Aluse being the hero's "canon" name.)

Aishe? They renamed Aira?

Yep. We mentioned it in one of these topics on this board, but I can't remember which one. Someone managed to grab a picture of the name change from the English reveal and shared it with us.
  • Upvote 2

There's a brief moment in the trailer where if you pause you can see the name Aishe as she does her turn in battle. It's a terrible change. I'm hoping the player had only changed her name at Alltrades rather than that being her new canon name. Which could explain why they would have tried to cut her name from the trailer, since it wouldn't be representative of the final product.

Ninja'd by Yangus.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 1

After thinking about it, Aishe really is a stupid name. It doesn't make any sense why they would rename her Aishe. I really I hope its not in the final game.  In fact here is a list of names better than Aishe. Aira(duh) Ayra ( basically the same as Aira), Ayla, Ashlynn ( I'd rather have two DQ characters with the same name), Aisha( I saw this name mentioned in one of the comments and I feel this sounds better than Aishe), Aya, Layla. Well that's all I got.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Yep. We mentioned it in one of these topics on this board, but I can't remember which one. Someone managed to grab a picture of the name change from the English reveal and shared it with us.

There's a brief moment in the trailer where if you pause you can see the name Aishe as she does her turn in battle. It's a terrible change. I'm hoping the player had only changed her name at Alltrades rather than that being her new canon name. Which could explain why they would have tried to cut her name from the trailer, since it wouldn't be representative of the final product.

Ninja'd by Yangus.

Ah, okay then. I was trying to find a source from where it came from. I'll check this thread in case it's on here.

Edit: Found a screenshot on the previous page.

Edited by Stepchan

Yeah I like that they don't even have a name, except for Eight I believe. The rest is due to manga.

DQ4 the hero's name is, if I'm remembering right, Solo/Sonia. But I don't think it's ever said in the manual, box, and obviously nowhere in the game

Solo and Sofia actually, and it just comes from screenshots from the manual and official guidebook(like how the hero was named Enix in the older games in the manual screenshots, it's Solo in the remake manual and such)

Though for what it's worth, the Japanese release of DQ4 included both Japanese and English languages(though not the finalized English script) and naming the hero in Japanese and then later switching to English would leave him with the 'default' name of Solo for male or Sofia for female, technically making it a rare instance where the name itself appears in the game.

Most of the 'official' names were also just taken from what they were named in manual/website screenshots after that, including Rek for 6, Arus for 7, Eight for 8, Nine for 9, and Ex for 10.

(and in a confusing twist, Arus is also the original name given to the main character of 3 in the remakes)

Edited by The n00b Avenger

According to Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, "Young Boy Aluse" (Aluse being the hero's "canon" name.)

Arus, but yeah.

The perplexing thing to me was that the hero's canon names in any of the DQ games is never said in their games. I understand it's to help you have more of a connection to the character (because you are the main character), but even Link has a name...

DQ3 is confusing. Isn't Loto/Erdrick a title and not actually his name?

DQ4 the hero's name is, if I'm remembering right, Solo/Sonia. But I don't think it's ever said in the manual, box, and obviously nowhere in the game.

DQ7's is Arus, but this is only said in the unfinished manga.

DQ8... his name was just Eight, wasn't it?

Aluse and Arus are both right. Aluse just uses l instead of r (same sound in Japanese), and the e is silent. It's also the localization used in the Dragon Warrior VII demo (which I don't think was ever released, but is accessible from the debug menu).

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 1

Aluse and Arus are both right. Aluse just uses l instead of r (same sound in Japanese), and the e is silent. It's also the localization used in the Dragon Warrior VII demo (which I don't think was ever released, but is accessible from the debug menu).

Nothing official has ever called him Aluse. In fact, that looks like something Ted Woolsey's crew would have conjured.

The same crew that thought "Wyvern" should translate as "Y Burn". The result of Woolsey picking the wrong option between B/V sounds.

(How would Aluse even be pronounced? The same as Alice?)

Yeah, like Alice, but with an "oo" sound where the "i" is. And even though it was never actually used, I'd consider that demo to be official. In fact, I believe it's the only time his canon name has been officially localized for English (romanizations used in Japanese media don't count).

I'm getting major Yuval, er, Deja-Vu right now.

• Upvote 1

Loto/Roto/Erdrick is a title, and works more like "sir" or "Dr." and "MD".  I don't know if it's meant to be a pre or suffix when brought over to English.  How does the current Mobile translation handle it?