Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

It's official: We're screwed.

No mention of DQ at all this E3. Nothing from Square Enix - no surprise there - but also nothing from Nintendo.

Welcome to the second dark age of DQ in the west.

• Upvote 1

In that case, I'll save money now, because I won't be buying a WiiU or 3DS, nor will I purchase any SE products.

I can't decide what is a worse time to be a Dragon Quest fan.  The period from 1992 until 1999, or currently.

Now, now! Don't get all hopeless! Nintendurr might surprise us at the end of the conference! It might be that they're translating them, but will simply decide not to show them until the end!

...Well, unless I missed something, and I was too optimistic about it.

Edited by Koyuki and Dororo

I'll see if I can get some sort of quote from anybody. If nothing's going on and people want to do fan translations, I'm here if folks need me, but keep in mind I'm all old 'n 35 and building a business, so I can only do what I can, when I can.

That being said, I sincerely hope whoever at Nintendo that decided to cheap out and use uStream got fired. What a complete $#!& up. Lag every five seconds no matter the quality. It up and quits on their big announcement. I've streamed every year since 2006 and there was never a problem until now. uSteam is a shitty memory hog to begin with. No excuse for that.

• Upvote 2

Wow, 111 users on the Den in the last 15 minutes (87 guests plus us members anyway). I gotta wonder how many people out their are as pissed as we all are.

Has the straight list been released yet? Haven't seen anything yet.

Would you be able to elaborate on that one? New term to me.

Not yet.

But I'm holding out on TW3D on this year's straight list.

I'm off to work. Catch up with later.

How would we go about fan translating Dragon Quest X, anyway?  As far as I know, that's pretty much impossible with it being an MMO and all

Maybe not X, but I'd love to do a nice version of VII for everybody. Olde English Melvin and all.

• Upvote 2

Too bad... If only there were no #$%& region locks...

Now that I am finally coming out of my no-money-for-games years there are no more DQ games to buy...

I will be getting a 3DS someday (I hope). Already bought Dream Drop Distance and Devil Survivor Overclocked, so I started building my library even now.

But I would have really loved Dragon Quest VII, then Terry and yes, I would love to play Slime Morimori 3, as well.

Shortly after the conference Nintendo releases a master list of all their titles for the coming year. Only the heavy hitters like Women's Murder Club make the conference.

Shortly after the conference Nintendo releases a master list of all their titles for the coming year. Only the heavy hitters like Women's Murder Club make the conference.

I can understand now! The DQ titles aren't exactly heavy-hitters! So that's why they weren't in the Nintendo Direct or the conference!

I can understand now! The DQ titles aren't exactly heavy-hitters! So that's why they weren't in the Nintendo Direct or the conference!

emmastone-thumbsup1qwu6x.gif

When do they usually put out the master list?  Have your contacts said anything, bossman?

When do they usually put out the master list?  Have your contacts said anything, bossman?

I think it was at the end of the E3 conference last year. Where they had put game related materials like images.

Yep, wait till the end of the conference to see if they have a release hidden away. It looks grim but it isn't impossible.

Some people I'm not going to bother contacting until a week from now. They're swamped at the moment. Even then, I'll probably get nothing. It's the nature of the business. They want you to do a whole ton of stuff for them, but when I sent them my Plus Alpha interview they were all, "Yeah, OK. Whatever." Probably didn't even read it.

We weren't going to see a console MMO here. Period. FFXI kind of bombed on the PS2, and so did the other ones.

Phantasy Star was more successful on consoles 'cause you didn't really have to buy hardware. Even on the Gamecube, you got the modem with it. 

Anyway, even though DQ7 wasn't announced at E3, I'm sure we'll get something on it later this year. It's the most viable release, with Terry's Wonderland behind it. 

And also? It makes sense to shun the One because of it's draconian architecture, but SE? To be perfectly honest, I can see why they aren't announcing DQX. It's a console MMO made for a series that is popular in JAPAN. Keep in mind, Dragon Quest is popular. IN JAPAN. Here? They make production costs if they're lucky because the console market has moved on from JRPGs. There hasn't been a really successful JRPG here in a long time. Sure, some of the indies do well, but look at the big picture. Game companies see people playing two kinds of games. Sports games and Call of Duty and their clones. 

It would take something BIG to detract that. We're getting stuff like Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFXV because they're in a long-running series in the US that has sold extremely well whenever released. You know why Square Enix is focusing on the phone-tablet market? 'cause it takes a few months to port a title over and they make up the cost within a month or so with release. (( Final Fantasy Dimensions came out on Android after iOS, it's sold over 50k copies, made up for that likely $20-25k cost to port over some of the code to Android, and then some. ))

I'm rambling. TLDR? We're lucky we're getting what we're getting. DQ73DS came out a few months ago, I see us getting that, but it won't be announced for several months yet. X? No. We won't be seeing X if it wasn't announced at E3. Boo hoo, it was a console MMO that only a few of us would've played, there'll be more titles.

We're not going into a drought. But don't expect any new DQ games for awhile. Just keep supporting the companies that matter, (( For example. GO BUY DRAGON FANTASY. Especially if you have a PS3/Vita. It's the same cost on Android, less on iOS, but it's still good. )) the indies who still make JRPGs. Let's not forget Dragon Fantasy, Secrets of Grindea, Sully: A Very Serious RPG, Shovel Knight, and so on. Tell the first-party publishers we love this $#!& and buy 'em! Tell Square Enix we still love JRPGs by buying the older titles and tablet ports! (( FF Dimensions is a iOS/Android only release and GODS IT IS GOOD. )) Badger their execs on Twitter! Facebook! Throw cakes at Nintendo like the Earthbound fans did!

They don't read message boards like this. :P

I think what's the most frustrating is the lack of comments from either Square Enix or Nintendo regarding the series' presence in the west.  An acknowledgement would be nice.  I can understand why they would find it risky to bring X over.  How many people realistically do you think would pay a monthly fee for it here, outside of a few of the superfans?  Even if it were free, like Capcom did when they brought Monster Hunter Tri here, I still don't think it would draw much of an audience.  The 3DS titles on the other hand, SHOULD be coming out here, all three of them!  I LOVED Rocket Slime, and I thought it sold okay for what it was.  Why the silence?  Did Joker 2 really bomb or something?

While I like my DS cart, I wasn't going to buy a 3DS cart since it's so much easier to buy games digitally.  I may have to pick one up 5 years down the road when someone better than me makes a fan translation of DQVII at this rate.  Very sad...

Just popping in to correct you Ryu, PSO did not come with a modem for the gamecube nor did the gamecube have a modem built in. finding a BBA for the cube was incredibly frustrating even while they were in production.