Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Derpametric's Rants - Disk-based media.

This is going to be the first in a series of rant-topics where I rant about stuff.

Today, it's disk-based media.

So. I just got back from Gamestop, where I picked up a cartridge of Mario Kart 7 for my new 3DS. It's not too bad, nice and plasticy, and it feels rather sturdy. Unlike my copy of Mario Kart Double Dash, which was ruined a few weeks after I had it back in my GameCube days after a friend dropped it on the floor.

The optical disk has been around for some time, and it's been fragile, oh so fragile. From the beginning a scratch could ruin it, and once the game system market came into fruition using these disks, a $50 game could turn into a cat's playtoy if you're not careful, and let's face it...

While we aren't careful, our parents/spouse/roommate/siblings aren't.

I think Nintendo did the world a FAVOR by going with cartridges for the DS, and hell, even Sony tried to emulate it with UMDs.

And now, with digital downloading and flash memory at a high... I'm hoping this continues. Forever.

I'm a bit late...but I do agree with this. I was always mad when we gave up using floppy disks and started using CDs. They werent as sturdy and they couldnt even the load the very old PC games I loved so much. LAME!

Blu-rays are supposed to last a while. The way I see it, when mine usually fail, I can just make a copy of it. Also easier to discount cause its cheap as hell to make. I remember wondering why N64 games NEVER went under $40 when they were out, but PS1 games I have seen around $20. The price from what I gather was pretty astronomical. CDs I think cost a few cents to make, those N64 cartridges probably cost around $30.