Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
Neofrodo

Lets Play Beyond the Beyond

Soooo ever hear about a PS1 RPG called Beyond the Beyond? No? Cant say I blame you.

During the early years of PS1 Gaming alot of gamers were looking for bigger and better graphics and epic storylines to games. Sadly this was one of the early games that didnt quite have what people were looking for....and as a result it bombed pretty bad. Much to my disappointment.

Beyond the Beyond was one of the first actual games I owned for PS1 and it left quite an impact on me. I loved this game to death and I was just annoyed to hear that people openly bash this game and dont give it a fair chance.

Thats why I decided to do a LP of it. Hopefully some of you guys will watch this and see why I love it so much. Tho I will admit having re-play it...it kinda does have a DQ vibe to it. Which I can really appreciate. :D

Edited by Tesla

It had an INSANE difficulty curve after Sampson's "mishap". But it was one of Camelot's better titles.

now I feel bad calling DW7 a glorified SNES game. That's what this is.

But it still looks very interesting and I just might play it someday. Thanks for introducing it.

This is in no way a glorified SNES game. It's made by the same folk who made the Shining Force (( 1-3 )) AND the Golden Sun series.

Beyond the Beyond was one of the first PSX titles, and one of the better turn-based RPGs on it. Sprites are STILL the way to go, and I'm glad that Camelot Software Planning still uses them.

Beyond the Beyond has one fatal flaw:

Step, step, BATTLE! Step, BATTLE! step, step, BATTLE!

If ever there was a reason to hate random encounters, it's this game. If you can get over that, it's actually not a bad game. Nice character designs and a decent soundtrack.

No no no, Black Sigil : Blade of the Exiled had nasty random encounters.

Episode 2 has been uploaded.

Beyond the Beyond has one fatal flaw:

Step, step, BATTLE! Step, BATTLE! step, step, BATTLE!

If ever there was a reason to hate random encounters, it's this game. If you can get over that, it's actually not a bad game. Nice character designs and a decent soundtrack.

Oh its not that bad! XD

Trust me. Other RPGs are way worse about the encounter rate. (FF1+2 Dawn of Souls, Suikoden IV, 7th Saga, etc.)

I think the only time I have had any real issues with the encounter rate is when i'm trying to solve puzzles inside of a dungeon, but hey at least I'm getting EXP and Gold faster. :D

I had to put a hat on in the Golden Sun DS game to bring the encounter rate UP to a good level! It can be annoying to be too frequent, but also too little is bad as well.

oh, The 7th Saga...you could get killed on your first battle!

I'm playing 7th Saga on my iPad right now.

• Upvote 1

:heartslime: 7th Saga. Reminds me of college days.

This is in no way a glorified SNES game.

It was more about the look of the game than anything. Folks expected next-gen 3D graphics, and aside from camera toggling in battle screens and 'forced perspective' on the world map, it still mostly looked and sounded like something made for 16-bit gaming. The first Suikoden didn't get much attention either for graphical reasons, but that game's sprite animation and score was far better than anything 16-bit could produce, plus had such a compelling story, it gets remembered more fondly (having sequels probably helped too).

PS: Enjoyable LPs, Tesla!

PS: Enjoyable LPs, Tesla!

Thanks! :D

Part 4 has just been uploaded.

http://blip.tv/tesla...journey-6144233

There were a few problems tho that I need to address:

1. Kevin has said that my vids have pretty loud music in them and it occasionally overpowers my voice. I'll be fixing that in later vids. Thanks for the heads up.

2. I talk about my fanfiction a little bit in this vid mostly due to just wanting to rant a little bit. If this is annoying then I wont do it in the LP anymore. Give me your thoughts. ^_^

Edited by Tesla

Part 5 has just been uploaded.

1. Well my luck has just run out. Good to know. XD

2. At least now the game should be a little easier to play through.

I wish I could get a PSX emulator working on my iPad, I'd replay this.

(( I know I can get it working on the PC, but I don't trust my onboard video for anything beyond SNES. ))

Part 6 has just been uploaded.

Time for the Temple of Arawn. *sigh* This is going to suck. >_<

Nice. I remember playing this game. I like it and hated it at the same time. But I pressed on and did finish it! Some areas did have really bad encounter rates. I recall from the final save point to the final boss I probably have 8 or 10 fights - and it wasn't that far!

My next upload might be a little late depending on how soon I get a response to my first question on the Q & A topic. I'll wait till the 7th. At that point I'll just have to pick an option.

Yeah, I remember renting this and the encounter rate was unrelenting, possibly the highest I've seen since the first two Phantasy star games. It had a pleasant asthetic and nice music, but that one thing stands out in my mind the most.

Episode 7 has been posted.

Well back to this place I guess. I hate this place so much. >_<

Edited by Tesla

Episode 8 has been posted.

Well I found one chest at least. Not exactly the item I was looking for tho. Next time I will be GSing No Random Encounters just so I CAN GET OUT OF THIS PLACE! >0

Great LP, Tesla! Many fond memories with Beyond the Beyond! Beyond the Beyond and Kings Field were my first RPG purchases back when the PSX was still new. Brings back a lot of memories watching these videos. :thumbsup::wd_coolslime:

Glad you're enjoying it. :D

Now if I only could get out of this temple. XD