Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Contest #87 - A Journey of DQ Symphonic Suites

For our next Dragon's Den Contest, I will be stepping aside and handing over the reigns to long-time Dragon's Denizen, Skyonee. All of the following has been planned and prepared by him. For continuity and convenience sake, I will still be administrating this contest. Thanks Sykonee for giving us this bad-ass contest. Now then, over to you Sykonee!

journey2.png

So I made a mix.

More specifically, I’ve taken my collection of DQ Symphonic Suites and assembled various compositions into a flowing narrative, thus musically capturing the essence of Dragon Quest into a 140 minute long body of rich orchestration. And now it’s yours to enjoy as well!

Which compositions did I use, then? Ah, that’s where the Den’s latest contest comes into play. It is up to you, my music connoisseurs, to correctly identify each of the suites I’ve used for this mix. As with former Music ID contests here, you’ll be given points for how well you do, and awarded a badge accordingly.

This may be trickier than it sounds, as many compositions come in the form of medleys. Therefore, the Points System has been adjusted thusly:

1 Point: Which game it's from. I should note there are a couple compositions that have been reused in some games (Overture, as an obvious example) so you don’t have to guess the specific game it came from in those cases, but get a bonus point if you do.

2 Points: Type of theme. That is, where you might hear the music in a typical DQ game (ie: battle, town, credits, etc). Since some themes are put into medleys with other themes, a partial point is scored if you only get some of it right.

3 Points: Correct ID of composition; that is, the exact title of each one used. Be aware that some medleys come with only a single title, but most are an assemblage of different titles.

This leaves a total of 6 points available per composition, and as I’ve used 31 compositions, a grand total of 186 points are available. You only need 100 points to earn a badge, but a special badge will be awarded to the Top 3 scorers.

And now for some helpful hints!

Hint 1: As mentioned, 31 compositions have been used. One thing I challenged myself in making this mix was to not use a composition from the same game twice in a row. For instance, a composition from DQV won’t be followed by another composition from DQV. If you hear musical themes from the same game all in a row, chances are it’s a medley.

Hint 2: Only music from DQ 1-8 has been used. Sorry, DQ9 fans, but I don’t have the Symphonic Suites for that game.

Hint 3: No less than 2 compositions have been used per game.

Hint 4: No more than 7 compositions have been used per game.

Finally, a special thanks and kudos to Koichi Sugiyama, for not only creating the music of Dragon Quest, but also for being bold enough to be the first to translate simple bleeps and bloops into full orchestration.

Good luck, and enjoy the music!

King Zenith stepping back in here to hammer down some of the formalities. First of all, the official rules:

1) You must send your submissions to King Zenith via Private Message

2) You have until Monday, April 23rd at 10:00 AM EST to send me your submissions

3) Since there are 31 compositions used here, please format your submissions as follows:

Composition 1: DQ11, medley consisting of First boss battle of DQ11 followed by Starship music of DQ11, Battle for the Glory

Composition 2: ....

Composition 3: ...

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here in this thread.

Now, at long last! The thing you've all been waiting for, like the salivating dogs that you are! The music! You can listen to or download the track in MP3 format (192kbps or 320 kbps depending on how much of an audio nerd you are) and also a version you can "watch" on youtube. Choose the one that suits you the best.

192kbps version mediafire download

192 kbps MP3 Version:

http://www.woodus.com/kz/ContestFiles/A_Journey_of_DQ_Symphonic_Suites_v192kbs.mp3

320 kbps MP3 Version:

http://www.woodus.com/kz/ContestFiles/A_Journey_of_DQ_Symphonic_Suites_v320kbs.mp3

Youtube Version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgIUbrJfaN4

Edited by King Zenith

That... is an intimidating length... :X I think i'll download the video to make things a little easier for me, instead of havig to constantly wait for it to load.

Im gonna sit this one out. Ive never been good at identifying music. Im still gonna listen to the music though

Working on it! but I love to se a mediafire link to download the 320 kbs version!!! :lrsmile:

Im 46 minutes in and i'm already having and orgasm in the ears.

Sounds pretty intimidating, yo, but there's definitely plenty of time to figure it all out.

... too bad I only know a handful of the names of these tunes, and naming them is where the points are really at. Guess this is where research comes into play :P

I want to know how to pronounce "Sykonee".

I'm going with: "Sigh-co-knee" or "Psycho Knee"

I want to know how to pronounce "Sykonee".

I'm going with: "Sigh-co-knee" or "Psycho Knee"

Ditto, yo. But we won't know for sure until he confirms it :P

Yup. That is what I was thinking. It could still start with "see", though, so I am not comfortable until I am certain I can pronounce it right.

Well, it's a respelling of my proper last name, which is Italian in origin. Same as Madonna's. ;)

Well, it's a respelling of my proper last name, which is Italian in origin. Same as Madonna's. ;)

Im not quite sure you confirmed the pronunciation

I guess you could say the pronunciation of the 'y' in Sykonee is a ...mystery. :left:

I guess you could say the pronunciation of the 'y' in Sykonee is a ...mystery. :left:

... so it's 'Sick-o-knee'?

... so it's 'Sick-o-knee'?

Bingo!

Unfortunately, you get no bonus points in this Contest for guessing my name correctly. :butbut:

One... hundred... forty... minutes... *eyetwitch* *eyetwitch* ...what kind of sadist are you?!

One... hundred... forty... minutes... *eyetwitch* *eyetwitch* ...what kind of sadist are you?!

The road traveled is a long one. :D

• Upvote 1

Ive been listening to it as I do my everyday activities

Ive been listening to it as I do my everyday activities

Me too but listenign and working at the same time is not very useful to have a proper track of the themes. . . :(

Yes, he did.

So my having the symphonic suites for DQ1-7 should help me here, I am guessing.

Yes, he did.

he did confirm it, yes. But not when I posted that. Or at least it wasn't clear that he revealed the pronunciation

He gave quite enough info in that post for me to be certain of it.

Edit: Well, as certain as one can be when the first letter in Italian is pronounced as "ch" while the first one here is "s". I go for a middle ground soft "sh".

Edited by Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

The 320 kbs version is a 324 MB file size!! and a length of 02.21:44. . .downloaded and actually listening on the Ipod XD :whoa:

He gave quite enough info in that post for me to be certain of it.

Edit: Well, as certain as one can be when the first letter in Italian is pronounced as "ch" while the first one here is "s". I go for a middle ground soft "sh".

While you're correct that's the proper Italian pronunciation, since I'm a fourth generation Canadian, it's been slightly 'englished' over the years, hence the 'ci' sounding 'si' rather than 'ch'. There's been so much 'European cross-breeding' in my family that I'm Italian in namesake only now.

The 320 kbs version is a 324 MB file size!! and a length of 02.21:44. . .downloaded and actually listening on the Ipod XD :whoa:

Perfect for those extra long commutes. :thumbsup:

Sign in to follow this