Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
Megalosaro

Apparently the beta test began today

Still puzzles me why Square-Enix chose Wii over PS3. While the Wii's install base is larger in Japan, weekly sales have proven for the past two years that PS3 outsells Wii (in Japan)

It's been in development longer than two years though. When they first entered development, the Wii's trajectory was ridiculous.

Plus, developing for the PS3 would have increased development costs exponentially, and it has a reputation as being a hard platform to develop on.

They want to boost sales for the Wii (U) obviously.

It's been in development longer than two years though. When they first entered development, the Wii's trajectory was ridiculous.

Plus, developing for the PS3 would have increased development costs exponentially, and it has a reputation as being a hard platform to develop on.

Something I really hate about Square-Enix is their laziness.

They have constantly bashed the PS3 in the past for being too hard to develop for (more so than any other developer I can almost assure you)

I don't know, maybe it IS hard to develop for. Square-enix doesn't seem to have many games on it. Almost all their FF titles were dual-release for the PS3/360, and their other titles have been on the PSP or Wii/DS.

Looks like the first test starts in Orgreede at a point where you've "cleared" the first village of Langal Village. It sounds like you can't use your skill points on anything, and you can only get to level 10. But the threads I was reading people were really seeming to enjoy the game. I think they could choose their class before they started.

Something I really hate about Square-Enix is their laziness.

They have constantly bashed the PS3 in the past for being too hard to develop for (more so than any other developer I can almost assure you)

I don't know, maybe it IS hard to develop for. Square-enix doesn't seem to have many games on it. Almost all their FF titles were dual-release for the PS3/360, and their other titles have been on the PSP or Wii/DS.

Sony systems have ALWAYS been harder to develop for than their contemporaries... that didn't stop companies from pumping out great game after great game for the PS2.

Still puzzles me why Square-Enix chose Wii over PS3. While the Wii's install base is larger in Japan, weekly sales have proven for the past two years that PS3 outsells Wii (in Japan)

Dragon Quest games have always gone to the largest install base. Yes, PS3 is currently outselling the Wii in Japan, but the discrepancy in install base is huge. Almost double the number of Wiis sold as opposed to PS3s.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

Any comments on the battles versus previous titles?

The description I read about the battles said that it was a form of realtime battle, where if you missed you took a long time figuring out what you were going to do next as soon as you choose your command a second command window would pop up. People described it as being "comforting" and not feeling rushed, which matches the description of the battle system from the official website. Sounds like they are meeting their goals.

Awesome, thanks for the info on this. It'll be interesting to hear more as they get more experience with the game. Sounds pretty positive so far!

Let's hope it turns out to be good. :)

I'm nervous. Wish I could have been in on the beta but I'm sure it's only for Japan. Should ge a LOT more info soon though if it's in that phase.

OK. Same sources but it seems that this is phase 1.0 of the Beta Test.

Test days are/were :

2/23/2012 (Thur) 5:00-8:00

2/28/2012 (Tue) 5:00-8:00

3/1/2012 (Thur) 5:00-8:00

One person said that they played for 2 hours solo and was able to make it to Level 10 as a priest. The said that they started with Hoimi (Heal), got Kiari (Squelch), at another level they go rihoimi (Reheal), zameha (Cock-A-Doodle-Doo), and then a new spell called Zao which is a weaker version of zaoraru (Zing) at level 10. As a priest he said that he could equip a spears, staves, and a "stick" which is supposedly smaller than a wand but also sucks MP like wands did in IX. The spear requires both hands, and he couldn't equip a shield (this might only be because both hands were full).

Monsters dropped MP filling items frequently enough that MP wasn't an issue (though he doesn't remember the name of the item dropped). Treasure chests are shared after a battle with everyone getting the same thing. Like IX you can pick up things from the ground where there is a shinny light. After you've picked up something sparkling on the ground the sparkling disappears but it seems that others can still see the sparkle and pick up the item themselves. There was no visual penalty for dying until level 10. You just end up at the church you signed up at. At level 10 you start losing 10% of your money, but as usual experience isn't affected.

Multiple towns are available in the Beta so far. Crossing bridges, like in the first game, seem to indicate a fairly large increase in the level of the monsters you face.

Equipment can't be exchanged after you've worn it once, and there is a lower level limit for wearing each piece of equipment as well.

A person who played a Mage said that they start with Mera (Frizz) and then learned Hyado (Crack) and Riremito (Evac). A few seconds after casting Riremito a magic circle appears on the ground, and entering it allows you to leavev. Other people (maybe not even party members) seem to be able to then use it as well (I would assume for a limited time.)

So they were still enjoying it despite the inability to allocate skill points and the level 10 cap? That actually makes me very hopeful for the game.

And a weaker version of Zing? Yikes. I didn't like Zing to begin with. What is it gonna do, revive you with 1/4th max health and have a 75% chance of failure while chomping off chunks of MP? (mind, them indicated MP drops would probably remedy that). Chances are it'll get localized as Zing if it's the weakest revival spell in the game, with the original Zing becoming Zingle... or Kazing... and maybe the strongest being Kazingle... bahahahaha XP That's speculation, of course, yo.

Do like hearing that item drops will be shared. It was kinda messed up in IX when you'd have a friend over in your world and they'd take all your field items without you getting any. Blagh.

I kinda like the return of the 'bridge mechanic'. You soon knew how much pain you were in for after crossing a bridge in the first game.

And you can exchange equipment provided you haven't put it on? Sounds better than IX, where I think you couldn't exchange any equipment at all. Kinda makes it sound like the characters are scared of getting germs :P And spears taking up both hands... that reminds me of Phantasy Star Portable 2. You could have a shield equipped in that game provided you had an open hand for it (left, I think). Stuff like spears and great swords took up both hands, but you could still perform blocks with those weapons.

Was there any word on that 'cheering on' action, though? Where you can go up to people in the middle of a fight and root for them, raising their tension? I'm curious just how effective that is.

That aside, thanks for all the info, Mimas. It's awesome to be hearing about the game, even if it's just the beta :P

Perhaps Zao can only be used outside of battle?

Well, we have to keep in mind that it is probably the most fervent fans who are playing the Beta test right now (the estimate seems to be about 100 people in the game the first afternoon). Not to mention that they feel lucky just to be able to play the game, and they have only had 3 hours with it so far anyways. So this might not mean much. But the general opinion seemed to be that it was Dragon Quest that just happened to be an MMO.

Yeah, I was wondering what they would call Zao here. Zi? Or maybe make it longer, Zingly? Changing Zao to Zing would be quite annoying as far as changing what is equivalent.

You need to be able to hand over equipment since you can make equipment.

It sounds like cheering also speeds up the time till your next turn. And being a Dwarf or a Puklipo seems to increase the chances of people wanting to cheer you on.

That aside, thanks for all the info, Mimas. It's awesome to be hearing about the game, even if it's just the beta :P

Thanks! Going through 2ch looking for information isn't my favorite thing, but at the momment its the only source.

Blaze and Icebolt. :/ Not "Frizzing an egg" or "Cracking open a window". God. DQ got so, SO pun-happy when we got the series post PSX.

Some of the "Pun"izations aren't so bad, but those two just really grind me. I'd prefer the original Japanese, kthx.

Good luck getting more info though, it's good to know that so far class progression and such goes nicely.

Edited by mhollan3

The description I read about the battles said that it was a form of realtime battle, where if you missed you took a long time figuring out what you were going to do next as soon as you choose your command a second command window would pop up. People described it as being "comforting" and not feeling rushed, which matches the description of the battle system from the official website. Sounds like they are meeting their goals.

So it isn't turn-based..?

Yeah, I was wondering what they would call Zao here. Zi? Or maybe make it longer, Zingly? Changing Zao to Zing would be quite annoying as far as changing what is equivalent.

You need to be able to hand over equipment since you can make equipment.

It sounds like cheering also speeds up the time till your next turn. And being a Dwarf or a Puklipo seems to increase the chances of people wanting to cheer you on.

I figured they'd probably make the weakest one plain ol' Zing since I recall reading how IX had introduced new spells, like the strongest version of the Frizz spell, but instead of giving it a new name they just named it what the strongest version of that spell would be: Kafrizzle. I think as a result of this, Kafrizzle can refer to two or more different spells in the original Japanese. Probably makes havoc when translating, but it's easier to recall things across games and I kinda like it that way. Makes it easier to know what's the weakest and strongest, though I'm sure there've been goofs.

And you can't make equipment? Like... in the beta, right? Because I remember hearing about alchemy, and seeing that tailoring stuff going on... it'd be weird if you couldn't make equipment in the finished game

Sorry, seems I can't read. Saw can as can't, probably seein' can't as can. Hurrr...

And the shrimpy races are more likely to be cheered on... So does that mean it's an option that only appears by chance? Or have the beta testers been getting observed and polls show that the small races are the ones more likely to get cheered on? I guess having some sort of likelihood in there would be good, though, otherwise you could just have a small troop following your main team that could repeatedly crank you up to 100 with no problem and have you demolish things way over your level... though that doesn't sound so bad to me :P I like the sound of there being some sort of speed boost to it, though, unless it's actually a reduction due to my reading things improperly at times. Wonder if there are other things that this egging on can influence? I just really like that ability, though, being able to help out with a battle you can't really get in on instead of just powerlessly spectating.

Edited by PantheonSasuke

All of the translated impressions sound very positive, moreso than I expected. Good to know and let's hope the game gets a translation sooner rather than later!

You can make equipment. Never said your couldn't. Though I don't think anyone in the beta can, at least yet.

Your right, they only messed up the scheme in IX. Yuck. I already have enough trouble keeping track of the names as it is. The thing about using the same name for a different spell is that if you know that it takes off 40-60 in one game, it should still take off 40-60 in another game. Suddenly due to a name change it takes off 100-120.

Its not about the game mechanics that makes smaller races get more cheers. Its that they look cute and weak so people want to cheer them on more than they would seeing a big Ogre fighting a slime. Just human nature.