Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ring Man

Ability to report statuses

I'm noticing an extremely large influx of spam bot statuses lately, so I think it would be ideal to perhaps add the option to report status updates in the same manner one can report an inappropriate or spam topic

that would be nice.

I was thinking of the same thing. It might be a bit hard to script this, though.

that would be good it will at least let people read the REAL status updates it would be better if they put a report button.

Actually, I think a rule disallowing new accounts to post Statuses until 24 hours have passed will be better than a Report button, for the Spambots.

Actually, I think a rule disallowing new accounts to post Statuses until 24 hours have passed will be better than a Report button, for the Spambots.

That and one post on the forums. That way if they spam, they can be reported in another way.

i agree that would be a way better idea

It'd be better if there was a mandantory post limit before you can post statuses. But then also, it'd also have the problem of making the spambots spam the forums more.

There is nothing here that can be done. I doubt such a thing can be coded into the forum software, it's up to us to simply send a PM to Woodus with the name of the spambot, and he'll spamban them when he can.

(( This is why we need more admins. :P ))

It'd be better if there was a mandantory post limit before you can post statuses. But then also, it'd also have the problem of making the spambots spam the forums more.

There is nothing here that can be done. I doubt such a thing can be coded into the forum software, it's up to us to simply send a PM to Woodus with the name of the spambot, and he'll spamban them when he can.

I've seen a few pieces of forum software support post moderation. Though in the end every anti-spam measure has it's problems. In the case of post moderation it requires a few active moderators.

I do like the idea of the post requirement for statuses. If the bots spam the forums, we report the topics instead

Am I the culprit?

If I am,tell me to stop...

I don't think you have anything to do with the spam that is being talked about. Not unless you bought that $590 dollar software.

I don't see a method to restrict status updates after so many posts, nor a report status option in the forums settings

shot down }|

I don't see a method to restrict status updates after so many posts, nor a report status option in the forums settings

I found out how to do it. Had to get a demo of IPB. If you want me to I can tell you how to do it.

I had an other idea you could find an addon for IPB that can check the registration info against a database of known spammers. Stop forum spam and Project Honeypot are two services that I know of.

Edited by ethanej

Maybe if we also had the ability to report a user. Then check their recent status or activity.

The spam bots are getting ridiculous now

PM Woodus with a link to the user's profile.

I already have that service, hasn't been catching them b/c they are creating new accounts so quickly. I did turn off updating statuses on validating users.

Hmmm,If we just kicked them they would probably come back,then we'd keep having to kick them.

If you don't like to play"Soccer"lol

Maybe could find a way to block the host servers, or trace the bots and find away to have them shut down at the source.

Most of the spam messages that get posted come from people/software that use proxy servers so that anything they post is harder to trace back to them.

Jeeze,talk about being a Troll...

I did'nt know people would go that far.

Oh they go further then that. They pay people in India to solve CAPTCHAs 7px-Indian_Rupee_symbol.svg.png196.940 a day which when converted to US dollars is $4.00.

http://www.theregist.../captcha_break/

Edited by ethanej