Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ring Man

War of Heaven and Hell: Nokturn's Zenith

(I am following the DQ6/7 class system, where class changes really only effected stats and skills learned.)

Kingsley stepped towards Reoh. "i would like to become an Armamentalist" He says. Jay turns to him. "You have to have a practice as a mage to become an Armamentalist." Jay said. "I have. While we were separated I practiced for this because I wanted the elemental sword techniques, I have all the necessary requirements for becoming an Armamentalist." Kingsley explained

(Underworld)

Nokturnus paced back and forth, trying to devise a plan, then he sensed it. something that somehow made it through the castle walls. He looked at the doorway with pupilless eyes and noticed something floating in the archway. he was a purple demon with a yellow electric abdomen and carrying a sceptre. Nokturnus recognized the sceptre immediately, but was surprised, as he didnt know what the being holding the staff was.

Nokturnus folded his arms and stood, looking at the being. The being shrieked and flew straight at nokturnus, waving his sceptre wildly. Nokturnus outstretched his arm and made a fist, which glowed a vivid purple. His familiar double bladed sword appeared and he crouched down, looking intimidating. The Being stopped and floated in midair again. the being then closed his eyes and bowed.

the being looked up at Nokturnus and said "Thank you for your help in releasing me from my prison." he waved the sceptre as he was implying that the sceptre was his prison. Nokturnus stood firm, sword still extended.

"And.....Who are you?" Nokturnus asked

"My Name? What is a Name?" the being asked. "i am called............Rhapthorne." he stated........................................................................

(I assumed Nokturnus already knew about Rhapthorne, hence he orchestrated his release through Anna.)

"Alright. Wyn by nature probably already mastered the Wyvern class, I think I'll have him try the 'Evil Turtle' class so that he can advance to an intermediate faster, not to mention it'll help his survivability. As for Topaz, I think she should start with the Bombcrag class. As a Gold Golem, I want her fully prepared for physical fighting, and it leads to her more powerful Golem type class."

Unable to move, Selena was picked up by the hair by Ladja and punched several times in the stomach. Luckally since she was paralyzed her body was numb and couldn't feel any of the blows, but could tell by the way her body swayed with each hit, how much they will hurt, if she lived long enough to feel the rush of pain that was sure to follow.

Thrown at another burning building, Selena thought, I had no idea that it would have worked. Who knew you could cast bounce on inanimate objects. I wonder, if i didn't test that out, would things have turned out differently?

Trying to do another mental checkup of her health, she watched as Ladja slowly walked over to her, "I would just leave you there to burn," Ladja started, "But I'm sure someone will come here soon noticing the smoke." Picking up Selena again, he noticed her amulet drooping from her numbed hands. Reaching down to grab it, Selena yelled, "Don't you dare touch that!"

A bit shocked that the numbness wore off enough for her to speak so quickly, Ladja hessitated for only a momnet, "I see this is precious to you, Don't worry, i will take good care of it," He said sarcastically. As soon as he touched the amulet, Selena muttered, "Hellblast."

As a black vortex wrapped around Ladjas body, he dropped Selena, but she didn't fall limp, she stood and took only a step backwards from Ladja. "You made a mistake." Selena said coldly crossing her arms, as soon as the attack was finished, she sent another hellblast at him. "My teachers were afraid of me. They sealed my hatred along with my strongest spells." Another Hellblast was sent at Ladja, "You should have killed me. You just had to push my anger to the point where it cracked the seal placed upon me. I can hate, I can unleash my fury."

Taking another step back, Selena grinned, watching as Ladja fell to his knees in shock of what just happned, "I will tell this, Kazuma, demon that you were killed off by a lowly woman." With that, she unleashed Megamagic, leaving nothing but a crater where he once stood.

"Those fools." Selena said looking around, looking for any sign of the ones she traveled with. Tossing a chimera wing into the air, she made her way to Dharma.

"Reoh, does Dharma still let humans use monster hearts? I remember reading about that before. That if you came with the essence of a monster, you could learn their abilities. If this is true, I would like to find the essence of a RainHawk or a Rosevine so I can learn what you now call Magic Burst, and from what I've read, Those monster classes make it easier to attain then human classes." Jay asked.

Edited by Jay the Hawkhart Ace

Suddenly, Dai felt something stirring in the air. A powerful presence, but was it friend or foe?

"Guys, I think someone, or something, is outside. I have this feeling it's someone powerful though."

Jay draws his spear. "Maybe Selena finally got here. If it is, I'm not going to take her attitude again. She has not seen what I'm capable. Especially when I'm mad."

When Selena landed, she became the center of attention. It wasn't surprising. Her face was bloody, her cloak was torn she had burns across her arms, neck and parts of her face, luckally under her cloak she wore scale armor, it helped a bit with the blows, and helped against burns to her chest. Muttering an old chant, her magic returned to her.

A priest who was getting ready to enter Dharma ran towards her, "Miss, are you alright!" He said casting a heal spell on her.

Selena cast a bounce spell on her before the spell could reach her, "I do not require help." She said coldly eyeing the enterance to the temple.

"Then please, let me at least clean your wounds so you stop bleeding." The priest pleaded looking at her bloodied face.

Casting a very weakened infermore on the priest, she moved him out of the way. "There are people I want to see. I wouldn't be like this, if it weren't for them." She made her way to the doors, with each step, she could feel her bones shift, her body wanting her to collapse and rest, but she had to see the 'group' before she strengthened her seal and returned to the more. . .calm, polite, Selena. She wouldn't say what needed to be said to them.

"May the goddess have mercy on your soul, and the ones who pushed you to that much pain." The priest said beginning to pray for Selena.

Opening the door, she sighed, as more priests wanting to change their class, newer priests, The constant chants for healing and asking if she needed help was quickly irritating Selena, unlike her other persona, she would not stand for it. "Enough!" She yelled casting a Infermost around herself knocking over chairs, tables, lights, and most importantly the people close to her. When the wind died down, she looked around, daring anyone to ask her if she needed help. Proud of her strength, and control over the powerful spell, but unwilling to show anything but irritation on her face, when she made eye contact with Dai, she crossed her arms and waited. Partially since she didn't want to be bothered to walk over to them, and partially because it hurt too much to stand, let alone walk.

Edited by Kalmana

(Nokturnus indeed knew about rhapthorne, but the final formed, heavyset one. nokturnus had never seen Rhap1. hes seen rhap2 and the sceptre)

(Underworld)

Nokturnus heard the name. "Thats why the sceptre looked familiar!" Nokturnus thought. "But the last time i saw Rhap, he was massive in size. hes pitiful looking now."

Nokturnus straightened up from his intimidating stance and his sword disappeared with a purple flash. He strode down the stairs and shook Rhapthorne's tiny hand, as if welcoming back an old friend.

"Rhapthorne!" Nokturnus exclaimed. "Its been ages, old friend. Please, Come over to the table, you must be hungry"

Nokturnus and Rhapthorne went over to the table. Nokturnus sat down, while Rhapthorne floated, eyes growing extremely wide, as he looked at the massive amounts of food on the table. Nokturnus grabbed a Drackal tail and proceeded to eat. As Nokturnus was chewing, he thought..............

Finally, Nokturnus asked, "Last time I saw you, you were immense in size. Care to share your story?" Nokturnus was always polite with his guests, especially after many years of meeting one another.

Rhapthorne proceeded to shovel food into his mouth, ranging from Prism Peacock legs to Drackal Tails, and such seafood as Fried kalamari tentacles, shell slimes and king krabs. As Rhapthorne was engorging himself, he explained his story.......................................................................

Jay puts his spear away. "Selena! What the hell happened!? You're a mess." Jay asked.

Cautiously approaching, Dai motioned for Anna and the others to stay behind him. Something about Selena seemed... malicious, despite her weakened and injured state.

"I'd like to ask the same thing. Does this have to do with your confrontation with the Demon Lord?"

Whispering to Reoh, Anna inquired the obvious.

"Who is she, what does she want with us?"

Selena glanced over at Jay, but said nothing to his question, she looked back over at Dai and remained silent. Noticing the commotion in the temple, guards and fighters alike started to gather near the entreance and around the group prepairing to attack this apparent threat.

"Summoner." Selena said under her breath as a large monster, which seemed to be made of shields with a small sphere in it's center, appeared standing over her casting a guardian spell on her ready to take any attack aimed at her.

"Demon lord?" Selena said coldly, "You mean, Demon LORDS. Two of them were there. When one left, I fought the other one, ALONE, and killed it." She took a breath, "You want to see how I killed it, it was pretty amusing." She continued to look at Dai but now with a blank expression.

Edited by Kalmana

"What's happened to you Selena? Something about you seems... colder, more malicious."

Dai didn't doubt that between all those present, they could subdue her, but he'd rather not provoke a fight. A battle of this magnitude would raze the shrine.

"You didn't answer my question." Selena siad coldly.

----

What is this?

Nothing is here.

Landing on top of Weavers peak, Kazuma looked around the top, noticing that the statues of his former comrades where gone.

Spotting a monster looting the remains of the village, Kazuma quickly approached it, grabbing it by hits chest, lifting it off the ground. "Did you spot any statues in the shape of humans leave the area? Carried off by other humans or monsters?" Kazuma questioned the terrified monster.

"N-no." The monster said stammering, "No one took them away. I saw, I saw a human turn them back and leave!"

Kazuma set the monster down.

Someone freed them?

Someone must be strong enough to lift a curse place upon them by someone as strong as Ladja? We must find them.

"Selena. This is not the place to demonstrate how anyone defeated anything. People could get hurt here, or even die, if a spell goes out of control. I'm sure you're very powerful, but this just is not the place." Jay said.

(( Someone should play Reoh, I'm swamped with work right now. ))

"She saved us from a demon lords curse." Reoh not looking away from Selena said, arms crossed, "She mentioned that she was in trouble with the law before and wanted to be pardoned, but this isn't the same person who gleefully helped us to test out her magic."

She glared at Jay, "People could get hurt? People could die!? You left me alone to go check out what caused the fire and magma near the woods near Somina, I was waiting for someone to help me out. But no one came. Instead you all just came here and decided to have a merry 'ol time chatting away changing your classes, While you left me alone facing a demon lord to the death!"

Hearing her side of the story made a couple of the onlookers walk away from the circle of people. They kept their eyes on Selena and would act on if she did anything, but they fully understood her irritation, but guards of alltrades stayed by watching everyone in the room, ready to deal with Selena when she exhausted herself or showed an opening.

"You knew that we made the decision to avoid getting into a battle with a demon lord." Reoh said taking a step forward, "We don't have the means to defeat them yet. Getting into a that could kill us to save one town, is foolish. Our last battle with a demon lord ended in disaster, we weren't going to rush in and fight head on."

"You could have stopped me." Selana said, "I am not physically strong. You could have still followed me and healed me from the trees. Anything would be better then just ditching me." She shook her head, "And you know what, if you feel, even a fraction of what she's going to feel, I'll halt my fury." Holding her hand out, she cast a hellblast within the building, but Selena had enough control over it to not hit the ceiling. "This wont kill you. It'll just show you what I went through."

Edited by Kalmana

"We told you that we were better off not confronting them. I told you it would be best for you to join us if things seemed like they were getting out of hand. If you insist on fighting us, I won't hold back against you. We can't waste too much time fighting amongst ourselves."

Flanked by Topaz and Wyn, Dai drew his sword, assuming a stance.

Anna took a stand next to them.

"I don't know what this girl's problem is, but I'm not gonna sit here and let her thrash us like rag dolls."

"Okay first off all. You insulted me first. I left and waited patiently before I came here. And what you insulted me on, didn't even concern you. I was talking to Dai. You said my magic wasn't good enough. And we DID try to stop you from going, but your too stubborn and you didn't listen anyway." Jay says. He draws his spear once again and stands next to Dai. "I'm fed up with your attitude. You think just because you saved us from Ladja's curse, that you can talk down on us. Without having any sympathy for what we've been through. Before you say anything else to me. I want you to think about something. Think about the most important thing in your life, what you hold most dear to you. Now if someone takes that away, how will you feel? What would you do to get it back? That's what I went through. The red bird you see before me is Phoenix. I raised her myself. I love her like a daughter. But Nokturnus kidnapped her. The only reason why she's here is because I had to betray my friends. And that's why I'm here, fighting against Nokturnus, to atone for my sin. Now that you know more about my past, why are you fighting? Why did you save us, and why did you join us? What is in it for you?

(Underworld)

Rhapthorne had just finished his story with, "...................and the so called hero had the giant godbird with them and with help from some sages, i disappeared in an explosion of light." Rhapthorne munched loudly. He swallowed then told Nokturnus, "i saw some humans with a horse carriage on my way here not too long ago. a mermaid and a few fair-fitted fighters. one is a cripple, it seems. another is a young boy, and another person had a shadowy like creature with him."

Nokturnus listened. he then narrowed his eyes at the mention of a being with a shadowy like creature. he then laughed evilly and told Rhapthorne, "The fool with the shadowy creature works for me now! Him, his pet, and another being who i trust Kazuma and chad to contain. the fool. he gave up his body for a worthless cause, all to serve me............." Nokturnus sipped at a goblet. He then waved his hand and the urn floated to rhapthorne.

"Can you track the party's movements?" nokturnus asked.

"i know where they are heading." rhapthorne replied. "Dharma temple. Apparently they want to change classes."

"Good." Nokturnus stood up and grabbed 2 things from the table. He then handed them to Rhapthorne and told him, "Go there and drop these 2 items off. im sure someone will know what to do with the materials." Nokturnus smiled darkly

"Whats in it for me?" Rhapthorne asked

"FOOL! I SET U FREE AND U ASK WHAT'S IN IT FOR U!?" Nokturnus bellowed.

Rhapthorne looked at Nokturnus angrily, then lowered his head. Nokturnus was right. he owed him. Rhapthorne nodded his head and disappeared through the castle wall, to the overworld, towards the temple.

Nokturnus went to the urn and looked in it, the image of dharma temple left behind by Rhapthorne.

(10 miles outside Dharma Temple)

Rhapthorne landed outside of the temple and disguised himself as a bald, heavyset man with nubs on his forehead and a jet black goatee, he proceeded to walk towards the temple in the distance, with his sceptre in one hand and the materials in the other hand............................................

"Hold your sword." Reoh said walking up to Dai, placing a hand on Dai's sword, "Being a hero isn't only about being the strongest fighter, it's also about solving the problems of others. If you attack this. . .Selena. I'm sure the other one will be gone as well. Correct?"

A slight grin crossed Selenas face, "Correct."

"Look." Reoh said taking a couple of steps towards Selena, "We just met you, we don't know too much about you and what goes through your mind. If you calm down and explain things a bit from your perspective, we can settle this without the need for violence."

Looking around the group in silence for a moment and sighed, with the hellblast disappearing she sat on the ground. "Put your hand on me and I'll reveal all you need to know about. . .Us."

Turning towards Dai, Reoh calmly said, "I have faced strong opponents in my past, ones that would kill off all of us if given the chance. As she is now, while she wouldn't be able to kill us, being able to take down a demon lord by herself would mean that everyone here is in danger, including Dharma itself. If she were truly malicious, she would have killed those people she tossed aside with her magic, but she did not." Gesturing to the side, the people she pushed away with her infermost were still moving, a bit dazed, but alive. "she could have summoned a monster who could attack us and those around us, but instead she summoned a monster for defense. She isn't malicious, just in need of anger management." Turning back towards Selena he slowly walked over to her, and placed a hand on her shoulder.

Edited by Kalmana

"Alright, after Reoh, I'd like to know the same. I don't want us fighting pointlessly amongst ourselves anymore."

Were his parents okay? Were they missing, had they been captured? Had they been in Weaver's Peak to begin with? Dai couldn't get these thoughts out of his head.

"Recollect." Selena said with a bit of hesitation while closing her eyes.

(This is going to be a long post. to shorten the length of this post, I'll put both the long and short versions in spoilers.)

(long and trust me on that.)

Images entered Reohs head. He saw a young Selena, around the age of 4 in, what looked like a classroom full of white humanoid shaped blobs, and at the front stood larger ones. "Today is the day everyone has been looking forward to. The day your futures will be revealed. By telling your futures you will be able to study hard for the day you will be able to do your job appropriatly. You don't want to disappoint yourselves." a voice said. One by one, the smaller blobs approached the larger ones and was told what their future would hold. It ranged from working in a library, to running what ever area they lived in.

"Good luck Sele." One of the blobs said walking by the young Selena. "I'm not worried, I can already cast blaze! I'm sure to be a archmage or a teacher of magic." Selena said proudly before walking to the front of the class with a wide smile on her face.

"You're profession Selena," The large blob said, "Is. . ." The blob paused. the class started to speak among themselves in whispers. None of the other fortunes caused the blob to stop speaking.

After several minutes of waiting, and hushed whispers, the blob spoke again, "Demon lord?! You child are going to become a demon lord when you get older!"

Selenas eyes widened and she started to shake, "N...no."

The blob paced, "I've read your future several times to make sure the result was correct. Each time i got the same thing!"

Selena fell to his knees looking at the faces of the faceless blobs. It was obvious by the way she was looking around, that none of them were looking at her with concern, but anger.

"Child. YOU will be responsible for the lives of hundreds, possibly thousands, you will bring upon everyones death unless something is done!" The large blob disappeared quickly from the room.

The area was engulfed in a bright light, when the light dimmed, Selena looked a bit older, but was on the ground covered in cuts and bruses surrounded by four humanoid blobs.

"If we killed you now, we would be considered heroes." A blob said standing over her, "We will probably get awarded and given a million gold for killing the future demon lord."

"Yeah, If you die, everyone will be able to get their futures. If you live, we wont!" Another blob said.

"It's the reason your parents abandoned you. They are shamed by the fact that they brought up a demon lord." a third said.

"Lets do it." The fourth said pulling out knives.

"Blazemost." Selena yelled engulfing her and the blobs bodies. When the spell vanished, the bodies were on the ground, except for Selena who got to her feet looking at the children with a uncaring expression. "Maybe I should become a Demon Lord, everyone already treats me like I am. Maybe I should just -"

"Enough child." A larger blob said walking towards Selena.

"Archmage!" Selena said getting to her knees with tears in her eyes, "It wasn't my fault, they attacked me first!"

Sighing the blob said, "I know child. You have had it rough these past two years. Your parents leaving you, getting attacked by 'heroes', even being cursed a couple of times and no one willing to purify it." Pausing for a moment he said, "Come with me, you have suffered enough, I welcome you to the mages academy where you will be trained by me personally. If you are treated in such a way, you will be turned into a demon lord, but if raised with love and care, we believe we can change your future." The blob held out it's hand towards Selena.

With tears in her eyes, Selena stretched out her hand, grabbing the archmages and walked along side him.

Once again, there was a flash of white, and when it dimmed Selena was seen sitting in a chair much older then she was.

"Selena, it's as we feared, you do have the potential to become a demon lord still. Your quest of learning all of the spells have shown us that you have a tendency to treat people like, experiments. You have made a lot of progress, but you still have yet to trust people completly." The archmage said with a sigh.

Closing her eyes Selena said, "I have accepted your offer. I read up on the spell you spoke of and discussed it with Koshi. We both agree that it would be for the best to seal away part of my personality."

"Even if it will effects your spell casting? You wont be able to cast high level spells, at all, you will tend to say things that will offend people, on accident, and even if your life is in danger, the seal wont be weakened, only if you get enraged. You will be able to see everything that happns, but you can only watch and help guide your other self. Think of it like we are creating an alternate personality. A. . .excuse me, Demon lord persona, and a odd somewhat offensive mage."

Waving her hand, Selena said, "Enough, I know all of that. Please, just do it before I change my mind. I pride myself on my spell casting abilities, but I'm getting them taken away. But I should be liked more and be able to integrate with the regular populace."

With a nod, the archmage began the spell.

When it faded, Selena was standing in front of a door, waving goodbye, "I'm off Koshi, when I return later this year I will be able to become the archmage you will be proud of. Wait for me."

As if a slideshow, it showed Selena walking down a trail, as the seasons changed, several times, with people walking beside her then leaving. As Selena getting taller, and sadder.

"This is the third time this happened." Selena said climbing a cliff. "It's because I'm terrible with words. All I want to do is help people, but I always tend to start a fight. Why is that!" Pulling herself up she looked over the edge, "It's been six years since I last saw him. At this rate, I wont be able to ever to return. And i can't exactly say that I want to go home, because they wont listen or care. No one does. I have to find my own solutions and. . ." Turning she saw the stoned heroes, "A problem I can solve."

(short version)

when she was 4 Selena was told she was going to be a demon lord when she grows up. Her parents abadnoned her, people bulled, fought, and tried to kill her because of who she was going to become. An archmage took her in because of her talent and in hopes to turn her away from being a demon lord. After a couple of years of training, Selena made the decision to seal off her "demon lord" persona to become the one the group met earlier. Unfortunatly, she says mean things without actually meaning to and she can't cast high level spells anymore. Saying goodbye to someone named Koshi, Selena left her home, but haven't been able to get back in six years.

When the visions faded, Reoh looked down at Selena, who was covering her mouth and trying to hide her face as she started to cry remembering the past, "You don't have to show it again." Reoh said shaking his head, walking over to Dai he said quietly, "It'd be best If i explained things to you, unless you want her to continue to cry."

Not wanting Selena to suffer any more emotional pain, Dai agreed to have Reoh explain it. After the story, Dai couldn't believe it. Not Selena's ordained destiny, but the way she was treated. She would have probably been driven to that fate by the resentment, not by her power.

"I understand. Listen everyone, for Selena's sake, I don't want to tell you too much, but to put it simply, she didn't quite have it easy. She was never accepted by her village, even her own parents. She gave up her most powerful spells, just so she would have a chance to fit in. It's not her fault that she loses her temper."

Walking up to her, Anna shook Selena's hand.

"You've had a troubled past, but with us, let's work for a bright future. My name is Anna, princess of Somnia. So anyway, we've got everything sorted out, and the gang's all here, let's get to class changes."

Looking around, she noticed a missing face.

"Wait, where's that monster tamer, Kazuma?"

"Kazuma...was taken. Nokturnus kidnaped him when we were petrified. As for you Selena. I apologize for what I said. I thought I was the only with a troubled past. I apologize, and I hope we could be friends."