Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ring Man

War of Heaven and Hell: Nokturn's Zenith (OOC+ Sign Up)

Okay, this is my first RP, so try to bear with me if something doesn't make sense in what I'm doing.

Though the RP has started, I will still take new characters, so feel free to request if you wish to join

Scenario:

After his defeat at the hands of a band of heroes, Nokturnus began to contemplate the true power of the light and the upper world. Seeking continually to achieve his goal of being the ultimate entity, Nokturnus has usurped the forces of the underworld in an effort to overthrow the Zenithians and take the powers of heaven for himself. Caught in between this battle are the people of the mortal world. Adventurers now gather in an attempt to quell the fighting and stop Nokturnus before all is reduced to carnage and destruction. They will have to battle some of the most dangerous entities who have or will ever roam these lands.

Setting:

World of DQ IV 100 years after the events of the game. Monsters from any part of the "Zenithian Trilogy" can be included, but all characters must be original.

Nokturnus' Army will be led by the main DQ villains, who will serve as generals of sorts, whilst secondary villains such as Baramos and Murdaw will serve as a second-in-command to their respective leaders.

The Zenithian forces will be led by the Zenith Dragon, Leonyx, Empyrea (her DQ8 incarnation), and Celestria, all standing on equal ground in the decision making.

Bonus Boss characters without any particular alignment such as Estark, Xenlon/Divinegon, Dragovian Lord, etc. will serve as neutral parties that can be challenged for assistance once a party has grown strong enough.

Evil hidden characters such as Rigor Mortex will likely be kept out, or play similar roles to the previous group, though much harder to defeat and turn.

The geography has warped to retain every town from both 6 and 4 (towns from 5 can be small settlements).

As far as technology, I'd say something kinda like FF 4 or my impression of FF 6. Imagine steampunk technology, maybe tanks and airships, but it's still so new that magic and medieval themes still persist in a stronger manner

Set-up:

When applying to join the RP, please specify which party you wish to join. Try to keep the parties even. I will update this first post with the number of members in each party. Try to keep the number of members in each party within about 2 or 3 members of each others.

If they are relevant to your characters backstory, you may have a few companions, monster or human, accompanying your character. If you can handle playing their parts, you may add them, but don't go too overboard.

Tamed Monster companions must be of reasonable strength. Don't try to start the RP with an Overkilling Machine or a Black Dragon.

Monster companions can be added later, or current monsters can "evolve" or grow (Small Fry grows into Great Dragon later, Slime companion becomes part of King Slime). New monsters must be within the character limit, and try to wait a reasonable amount of time before adding such a change.

I rate strength just as much on skill as on the actual character. A king Slime with no skills yet, for example, will be considered weaker than a healslime with extremely high level healing spells

Here is a basic template on how to join this RP.

Name:

Race:

Hometown:

Class:

Bio:

Rules:

1. No godmodding. Don't try to offer any sort of Deus Ex Machina in any situation. Your character has to be reasonably powerful for the point at which the RP is happening. Characters will grow stronger, but do not make them ungodly powerful.

2. A leader's word is law. Your characters and pitch ideas, but anything major, such as challenging a large force or journeying to a distant continent must be approved by the leader of your party.

3. Give substantial posts. I'm not asking for page lengths, but try to make your post at least a few sentences, and outline what is happening around you rather than simply what you are saying.

4. Try not to control other characters. You are allowed to have your RP persona give suggestions or commands, but do not have your post directly dictate what another person will do.

5. If the party splits up, stay in groups. I find that a lot of the actions taken by people are much more sensible to this RP if they stay with another person who may restrict or monitor their actions. If your party decides to split up for a task, try to keep them in pairs (of posters) at the very least.

6. Someone must be capable of human speech. You are allowed to make your main character a monster if you so choose, but make sure one person accompanying them understands what they are saying in human terms. Don't give us simple gestures or growling noises and expect us to interpret for you.

Now to start, here are my characters:

Name: Dai

Race: Human

Hometown: Wanderer (born in Monbarbara)

Vocation: Ranger

Bio: Dai was born to a traveling dancer and minstrel entertaining the masses all over the world. One day, when he was 7, Dai wandered beyond the city limits where his parents were performing, and a massive storm led him astray from civilization, leaving him young and alone. Dying of thirst and barely able to evade the monsters, Dai nearly perished before he was found by a gold golem and a chimera, who nursed him back to health and raised him in a nearby Oasis. At age 14, resolving to find his family once again, Dai set out as a ranger with his former caretakers in search of his parents. However, fate has other plans in mind, as Dai is suddenly caught in the conflict between the two forces that control the very balance of this universe.

Dai has mastered the monster cooperation aspects of being a ranger, but still does not quite have a grasp on his magical abilities, which he hopes to combine with the tricks he learned from his Minstrel parents.

Name: Anna

Hometown: Endor

Class: Magic Martial Artist (Think Tifa with offensive materia in FF 7, or maybe Sabin with Magicite in 6)

Bio: Anna was born to the King of Endor, and is only a few years younger than the city itself. Already saddened by the loss of her mother at an early age, Anna has never enjoyed the restrictions and refinement she was subjected to by her caretakers, always having to sit through lesson after lesson to teach her magic and never able to build a true relationship with her father. Though she did begin to learn a few spells as she grew up, her true fascination lie in the fighters who came to exhibit matches in the coliseum. She's always been more interested in training her body rather than her mind, using the various secret escape routes throughout the castle to make her way to the woods and practice the many hand to hand techniques of the monks. Regardless, the opportunity never presented itself for her to assert her strength, not even with the invasion of her home, which she was forced to hide away from rather than stand before and fight. Now these heroes have presented her the chance to realize her dream and leave to see the world.

Name: Topaz

Race: Gold Golem

Hometown: N/A

Bio: Topaz was one of the two monsters who cared for the lost Dai when he was struggling in the wilderness. Though technically genderless, Topaz exhibits motherly actions towards Dai, and could best be summed up as a mama bear. She is incapable of speech, but gets along well with anyone who doesn't get on her bad side. She formed a bond with Wyn the chimaera, who's healing spells protected her from the harsh elements of nature and travelers seeking to slay her for her golden body, while she in turn proved helpful in his competition for pray. The constant healing and rebuilding of her body has given her extreme durability.

Name: Wyn

Race: Chimera

Hometown: N/A

Bio: Wyn was the second of Dai's caretakers with Topaz. As a Chimera, Wyn is well-versed in healing magic and quite versatile in movement. He and Topaz first met when she saved him from a greedy hunter seeking creatures for his circus show. The two became fast friends, making a formidable team for survival. Wyn was responsible for keeping Dai healthy as he grew up in the extreme heat and cold different seasons would bring. He's quite a worrywart, always concerned how healthy everyone is, and not quite realizing when he's in over his head while trying to protect others, but will push himself to and beyond these limits to protect his loved ones.

Lily

Name: Lily

Race: Mermaid (they were in 6)

Hometown: where the mermaids are found

Class: unknown (might be a sage), monster master

Bio: A friendly young mermaid who is playful yet timid at times. Has friendship with many monsters found in the sea and some found on land too. She is skilled with magic mainly for healing and protecting her monster friends, but can also do some combat magic. She seems to be quite gifted in her talent for magic, but is young and not very experienced. She apprears adept at healing, but has never been tested in combat. She is friendly to both human and monster as well as other non-human races. She is able to come on land using magic to alter herself though she retains traits and behaviors that reveal her true nature.

Name: Squishy (what Lily named him)

Race: Man-o-War

Hometown: Sea

Class: none

Bio: A Man-o-War who Lily met one day while playing near her home. Lily named him Squishy after the soft squishiness of Man-o-Wars. Squishy appears to be equally a pet and best friend for Lily.

Name: King Curey (name used by friends like Lily, real name not known)

Race: King Cureslime

Hometown: unknown

Class: Priest (if anything)

Bio: A jolly King Cureslime and devoted healer. A master in healing and defensive magic King Curey knows NO offensive spells of any kind. He will protect friends with magic barriers and keep them healthy and well, but isn't a fighter. Kindly in the extreme King Curey isn't picky about who he heals and why.

Kalmana

Name: Kazuma

Hometown: Alltrades

Class: Tamer

Bio: Ever since he was young he has had a bond with monsters. Never going out of his way to kill them unless necessary. Unfortunately when he was seven, his family was killed off and he was left alone. Not by monsters, but by bandits looking for gold and items to steal. Ever since then he tried to have as little contact with people as possible. Mostly just enough to rent a room at a inn or to buy a little bit of food. He met his first partner when he was wondering around and heard a battle in progress. Out of curiosity he saw two liquid metal slimes and a very small metal slime being attacked by a traveler. Typically he would let something like that go as it is a bit of the circle of life, but when the traveler managed to get defeat the liquid metal slimes, the traveler went after the metal slime. Kazuma intervened and managed to fight off the already exhausted traveler. Kazuma decided to take the little slime in and care for him until he can fend for himself, then it can decide what to do for its self.

Name: Copper.

Race: Metal slime

Bio: Most of his bio is covered in Kazuma's. Pretty much after that event he is afraid of most people. He usually stays inside of Kazuma's pocket or bag when going into towns so he doesn't get attention drawn to him. He is afraid to fight and doesn't want to see Kazuma get hurt. Not knowing how to read all that much, Kazuma bought a book on basic cleric spells and is in the process of trying to teach Copper basic healing spells.

Name: Chad

Race: Shadow

Hometown: ???

Bio: He joined up with Kazuma after trying to steal some food from him when he was traveling through some forests. When Chad was defeated he just watched Kazuma with anticipation of the killing blow, but it didn't come. Kazuma instead tossed him an apple and told him that if he was hungry he could have just asked for one and continued to walk away from him. Being curious about Kazuma, Chad followed him for a while watching him be kind to monsters and even being nice to a metal slime, which are usually hunted on sight. Chad approached Kazuma again this time asking to join him in his travels handing him a ring he stole found. He heard that only someone with a heart that can connect with monsters can use. Kazuma seemed like the only one who could actually use the ring.

Ring occupants: None.

DJ BlackJack will be RPing the villains

Name: Nokturnus

Race: Demon God

Class: Demon

Bio: Little is known about this powerful demon god of the underworld. Although he requires a Dried Frog and Snake Venom to be summoned, he mainly keeps to himself. He is worshipped by many because of his awesome power. Because of this no mortal has ever been able to command him, except one. He met his defeat at the hands of the hero. Because of his defeat in such a quick time, he was able to make "the old man" seem like a game of Cat and Mouse. Since his defeat he has been growing stronger, waiting for the perfect time to live his lifelong dream and escape his Underworld home. He has resurrected a few villians as his main forces and has recruited quite the army for the right time..........................

Jay the Hawkhart Ace

Name:Jay

Race:Human

Vocation:Sage

Hometown:Isle O' Smiles

Bio:Once a renowned priest, he was banished from the church for practicing dark magic. He endlessly searched for the legendary Aurora Staff. One day, he stumbled upon an injured Gryphon, and slowly nursed it back to health. This gained the trust of many other gryphons, including Jamirus, an underling of the Demon Lord Mortamor. Jay has been working in the castle on the Isle O' Smiles, unaffected by its mysterious powers on other humans. He is usually performing the role of Medic, though his spearmanship and near mastery of Ice magic makes him a good help on the battlefield.

Name: Phoenix

Race: HawkhartAce

Hometown: No permanent home

Class: Hawkhart (Fire and Healing Spells)

Bio: Phoenix is Jay's beloved Hawkhart Ace. She is captured by Nokturnus as an attempt to use her power to ressurect Rhapthore, the Lord of Darkness. Jay has made multiple, fruitless attempts to rescue her. Now he takes indirect orders from Nokturnus to ensure her safety. She taught him the healing spells he knows. Jay met her while she was still a chick and took her into his care. They share a bond with eachother. If Phoenix is removed from his life, Jay see's little reason to continue. Name:

Name:Kingsley

Race:Fencing Fox

Vocation:Paladin/Armamentalist

Hometown: Palaish Island

Bio:A fencing fox that is loyal to Jay and his friends. He claims to have participated in The Crusades. He can use many Light and recovery spells as well as elemental slashes. He'll leap in to protect a friend in need regardless of what may happen to him.

mhollan3

Name: Reoh

Hometown: Somnia

Class: Hero (Archetype)

Bio: As a young man, hearing the stories of the previous King of Somnia, he left home as soon as he could wield a sword properly. From the time he was 14, he has known nothing but a free life, traveling the world as he pleased. Over the years, as he fought and learned various skills, he eventually found his way to a refounded Dharma Temple (( Alltrades Abbey, I go by the retro name. )), where he found that with training, he could become a Hero of Justice, and at the age of twenty-five, he became one of the most celebrated Heroes of the generation.

Then he was horrifically injured by an Archdemon, and lost a leg at the age of 36. He received a prosthetic, but at the cost of well, losing a bloody limb! He's just not the same as he was. A couple years at a seaside resort, and he feels recharged enough to start over.

Hell. Everyone has a midlife crisis, right?

Edited by Ring Man

Name: Spike

Hometown: Somnia

Class: Gladiator

Bio: A desdant of one of those who defeated Nokturnus long ago. Has powerful fighting moves. Wants to learn about his past family. Kind of a smart alec and always says whats on his mind however people still can agree with him and get along. However, since he is mostly reading he never talks much.

Edited by NeohopeSTF

Okay, I like where you 2 are starting, but I need just a few extra details

Both of you could maybe give a little more insight into how well versed they are in their skills. Also, I assume you're going to be joining my party?

Lily, try to expand on some things, like how your character relates to humans, how/if she travels overland, maybe a little more insight into how skilled she is with different magic (i.e. novice, practiced, healing magic, buffing magic?)

Neo, maybe a little more info on your characters past, try to explain how it effects his personality (is he a loner, stuck up, good vs. bad with people)

One more thing. Lily, given your description, are you planning to bring a monster companion? If so, please edit a bio in for them. I prefer to have 1 or 2 monsters be given personality as full team members as opposed to having several of them show up at random just for battle

Also, you two are not subject to this but I need to emphasize something now. If I feel it necessary, I may delegate players to other teams in an attempt to keep them even

Edited by Ring Man

This is actually my first RP, but I've had experience joining other ones.

Lily, you don't HAVE to add companions necessarily, but if it's an important part of your character, I think it fits well

EDIT: That's good Lily. Can't wait to see the monster in action

Also, just to confirm, you two want to join my party, not start your own, correct? If otherwise, please edit that into your post

Edited by Ring Man

Lets say i want to be a tamer, Obviously I wouldn't be able to tame "boss" monsters in the RP, what would the highest tier monster i could tame?

Lets say i want to be a tamer, Obviously I wouldn't be able to tame "boss" monsters in the RP, what would the highest tier monster i could tame?

A fair question. I'd say any "common" monster that can be randomly encountered.

Ex: Hunter Mech, no Overkilling Machine. Slime, but no Metal King Slime

As we get farther in and the RP character gets stronger, you can choose to tame monsters fitting for your strength, but still try to keep it under control and within the two companion per character limit.

Also, characters can switch sides if it fits their personality. Dhuran, for example, has a sense of honor, so he may switch sides if he fights the correct opponent.

Edited by Ring Man

Thats the thing with the tamer though, There is a 3 character limit but with a tamer he'd probably constantly be getting monsters. Would it be sorta like DWM with having only 3 at a time (or in this case 2) and be able to switch them off occasionally, like in a town?

Thats the thing with the tamer though, There is a 3 character limit but with a tamer he'd probably constantly be getting monsters. Would it be sorta like DWM with having only 3 at a time (or in this case 2) and be able to switch them off occasionally, like in a town?

I had two ideas for tamer

First was your idea, swapping between a few monsters at a time.

Other was, have a few well established monsters, and some that show up only for battle, sort of like expanding on "Wolf Whistle" or in the style of Summons from FF

Ok, for the second option i'm guessing you're going for something like this:

Have a character (lets call him Kazuma.) who is the tamer. He has two others, a metal slime & shadow as main companions. Kazuma has a macguffan for taming called the "tamer soul" which is pretty much a necklace or ring that holds monster spirits and such. As my character gets stronger the ring gets stronger and can hold stronger spirits. During battle Kazuma can summon monsters to do an attack. (say I'm up against a magmalice I summon a monster to do an ice attack, then leaves). Would something like that be acceptable?

Have a character (lets call him Kazuma.) who is the tamer. He has two others, a metal slime & shadow as main companions. Kazuma has a macguffan for taming called the "tamer soul" which is pretty much a necklace or ring that holds monster spirits and such. As my character gets stronger the ring gets stronger and can hold stronger spirits. During battle Kazuma can summon monsters to do an attack. (say I'm up against a magmalice I summon a monster to do an ice attack, then leaves). Would something like that be acceptable?

Works perfectly fine for me. Just create a bio, and make sure it covers if the characters been traveling to explain currently acquired spirits. Also, while you can include a metal slime companion, try not to get too carried away

Works perfectly fine for me. Just create a bio, and make sure it covers if the characters been traveling to explain currently acquired spirits. Also, while you can include a metal slime companion, try not to get too carried away

You can think of him more as a non combatant until later on. See character Bio

Name: Kazuma

-

Hometown: Alltrades

Class: Tamer

Bio: Ever since he was young he has had a bond with monsters. Never going out of his way to kill them unless necessary. Unfortunately when he was seven, his family was killed off and he was left alone. Not by monsters, but by bandits looking for gold and items to steal. Ever since then he tried to have as little contact with people as possible. Mostly just enough to rent a room at a inn or to buy a little bit of food. He met his first partner when he was wondering around and heard a battle in progress. Out of curiosity he saw two liquid metal slimes and a very small metal slime being attacked by a traveler. Typically he would let something like that go as it is a bit of the circle of life, but when the traveler managed to get defeat the liquid metal slimes, the traveler went after the metal slime. Kazuma intervened and managed to fight off the already exhausted traveler. Kazuma decided to take the little slime in and care for him until he can fend for himself, then it can decide what to do for its self.

Name: Copper.

Race: Metal slime

Bio: Most of his bio is covered in Kazuma's. Pretty much after that event he is afraid of most people. He usually stays inside of Kazuma's pocket or bag when going into towns so he doesn't get attention drawn to him. He is afraid to fight and doesn't want to see Kazuma get hurt. Not knowing how to read all that much, Kazuma bought a book on basic cleric spells and is in the process of trying to teach Copper basic healing spells.

Name: Chad

Race: Shadow

Bio: He joined up with Kazuma after trying to steal some food from him when he was traveling through some forests. When Chad was defeated he just watched Kazuma with anticipation of the killing blow, but it didn't come. Kazuma instead tossed him an apple and told him that if he was hungry he could have just asked for one and continued to walk away from him. Being curious about Kazuma, Chad followed him for a while watching him be kind to monsters and even being nice to a metal slime, which are usually hunted on sight. Chad approached Kazuma again this time asking to join him in his travels handing him a ring he stole found. He heard that only someone with a heart that can connect with monsters can use. Kazuma seemed like the only one who could actually use the ring.

Ring occupants: None.

------

I also suggest that in your opening post, you copy and paste each of our characters in a spoiler tag. Would make it easier to read up on participants.

Duely noted. Certainly helps with the post size.

You Metal slime reminds me of Gome from Dai no Daiboken

I assume those are all of the "deep" characters you're going to use. And I once again assume you're joining my team

Yeah, they are most likely going to be the monsters who get the most character development and screen time of my party.

And sure, don't see why not.

Also, I need to establish one limitation on your ring for the sake of control.

You're free to add any monster that the party battles, but the more powerful the monster, the more strain it puts on your tamer. So, you could summon a green dragon if you chose, but it would be significantly more taxing than summoning say a chimera.

It's the best balance I could find for this power, bearing in mind the similar summon concept from Final Fantasy

Also, I need to establish one limitation on your ring for the sake of control.

You're free to add any monster that the party battles, but the more powerful the monster, the more strain it puts on your tamer. So, you could summon a green dragon if you chose, but it would be significantly more taxing than summoning say a chimera.

It's the best balance I could find for this power, bearing in mind the similar summon concept from Final Fantasy

Yeah, i was thinking that the ring sort of uses MP. The stronger the monster, the more MP. Of course, as i get stronger it wouldn't be as taxing, but it'd be impossible for my characters current strength to summon, lets say a great dragon without having major repercussions. (aka it not only uses up all of the MP, but saps Kazumas HP as well. Making summoning a vastly high tier monster a all or nothing attack sorta speak.)

Alright then, you're all set. Any monster is yours to command, but try not to god mod even with the most powerful.

Maybe that's how I'll incorporate the bonus bosses in the game, as summons.

Anyway, thanks for joining, we've almost hit the head count.

Lily, the explanation I had in mind was relatively simple.

Somina calls together heroes as a result of this crisis. I show up to volunteer, Spike (Neo) lives in Somnia already. Lily can show up wondering why all the humans are gathering, maybe deciding to enter the city to look around, and joining when you're mistaken for a human recruit (Assuming your character has legs on land).

Kazuma is maybe just a wanderer who joins us to protect the monsters caught in the conflict, only trusting us since I have a similar respect for monsters as a ranger.

My other idea was to go the DQ 8 route and kind of explain it in flash back.

I'll probably adjust the story as/if more people join, but that's the basic idea I had to build off of. Any objections and/or suggestions?

Edited by Ring Man

I have one question how more advanced is the time. Like is it still like DQ6 or is there electricity yet?

I'd say the geography has warped to retain every town from both 6 and 4 (towns from 5 can be small settlements).

As far as technology, I'd say something kinda like FF 4 or my impression of FF 6. Imagine steampunk technology, maybe tanks and airships, but it's still so new that magic and medieval themes still persist in a stronger manner

Also, to try and minimize clutter, in the future, added characters should be edited into whatever post was used for your first ones.

Lily doesn't have to worry, but this is for future reference.

Also anything that doesn't concern the whole thread, such as something specific to your character, should be discussed with me via pm.

Edited by Ring Man

Kazuma is maybe just a wanderer who joins us to protect the monsters caught in the conflict, only trusting us since I have a similar respect for monsters as a ranger.

It's more, he feels that this is the best option to save innocent monsters from being killed. Really, at the beginning he'll pay little attention to the human characters, speaking more to the monsters. Heck, if the enemies played their cards right he could possibly be persuaded to the other side.

I had considered that, and I think that sounds optimal, just kind of have Malroth as a monster under Hargon's control. That, or maybe I'd have Hargon stick by as Malroth's second-in-command, have Malroth as relatively intelligent, and Hargon kind of interprets for him.

If I remember, DQ 2 said that Hargon's cult worshipped Malroth, so I assume he'd be above him in some manner.

IIRC, Melrath is pretty much just a mindless beast whos only thoughts are pretty much destroying everything he sees.

Okay, I've decided

Hargon commands Malroth, they show up together at some point. Hargon gets killed, so Malroth goes berserk.

Still need 1 more poster or 3 more RP characters now.

I think it;d be best to wait a bit longer before starting rather then wait for a head count. Not too many people are interested in RPing on this site (i believe anyways...).

How long would you suggest I wait?

I figured I'd start maybe a week from Wednesday, once the holiday buzz finally dies down and people start spending more time on the forum.