Sign in to follow this  
Orias Obderhode

Dragon Quest: Legacy of the Lost

LegacyBanner.jpg

UpdateIconFinal.png

Created by: Orias Obderhode

"Can the remnants of our past lead us to a future...?"

Released: 3/4/13, Final Patch Released on: 1/31/14

Dragon Quest: Legacy of the Lost is a fangame highly inspired by Dragon Warrior 7. The game will feature the shard system and time travel aspect found in Dragon Warrior 7. The underlying story, however, is not the same and besides the time travelling portion, no plot sequence will be taken from Dragon Warrior 7.

STORYLINE:

“Join a story that spans the ages! Through a series of seemingly unrelated events, a young man finds himself in the middle of a divine conflict. Picking up allies along the way, the man will confront the darkness and bring back the legacy of the lost!â€

The world of Araginol is at peace… or so it seems. As far back as the people of this land can recall there is little in terms of land. The continent of Erdrich is all that has been discovered by seafarers and captains of the seas…

“How can this be? Is it truly possible that the world be so small?â€

Unknown to the people of the current era, Araginol had once consisted of several islands and continents. Through the power of the demon lord, the islands that occupied Araginol fell one by one, eventually leaving no remnant of their passing.

Just when it seems Erdrich has been spared from this tragedy, several unfortunate events begin to plague the land. It is up to you, the hero, to traverse the rifts of time and save the world from evil’s vile clutches!

CHARACTERS:

Name: Aldain
Job Class: Hero
The Hero is formidable in both might and magic. Holy blood runs through his veins and he is an essential part of any team. The Hero also has the most well-rounded stat growth in the game, and while not too hard to train in early levels, requires a lot of experience points as he grows in level. The Hero can be equipped with most weapons and armor.

Aldain lives in the land of Erdrich, not far from the castle. He lives with his mother, Sarah, who has recently come down with a terrible sickness. He is willing to put his life on the line to find a way to save her.

Name: Oruba Stacain
Job Class: Mage
The Mage is formidable in attack magic. Mages excel in devastating their enemies with powerful magic. They can even fall back upon various support spells to aid in battle. This learned mage has a low attack, defense and agility rating but excels in intelligence. The Mage takes a fair amount of time to level. The Mage can use whips and staves and be equipped with small shields and lightweight armor.

Oruba was born in Rhemhage Village, older brother to the current mayor. He resents his brother for everything he stands for. His brother took over the village when his parents suddenly died. Blaming their death on his brother by bearing witness to the crime, Oruba has turned his back on his brother. When evil threatens his hometown, though, he is all too eager to defend it, as long as it wasn't a request by the mayor.

Name: Melody
Job Class: Maiden
The Maiden is a supplemental character who aids her allies by using detrimental magic on the enemy and raising one's own stats. However, her spell list is limited. She has a high amount of strength and agility, but defense and intellect lack slightly. She levels fairly quickly. She can be equipped with a wide array of heavy weaponry and can wear lightweight armor.

Melody is the upbeat daughter of Yardrick Village's mayor. She met a tragic end at the hands of the basilisk, a devastating beast borne of black magic. By purging the land of this foul beast, you lift the petrification and in her gratitude and eagerness to leave home, she offers to join you on your quest. She had studied to become a priest before leaving. Not much else about her past is known...

FEATURES:

- Breeding system akin to Dragon Warrior Monsters. At certain points of the game, it will be possible to recruit monsters to join your team. Eventually, you will unlock the breeding center in which you can breed your monsters together to create newer and more powerful offspring. In addition, there will be monster masters that will offer up their own monsters to breed with one of yours.
- Alchemy Pot
- Mini-Games
- Dynamic party system: The final member of one’s team will consist of a wide variety of available monsters. At a certain point in the game you can swap out your team to mix and match to your choosing.
- Scripts to make the game feel and play like a Dragon Quest game.
- Achievement system.

SCREENSHOTS:

DQLegacy44.png
Victory Never Comes Easy
DQLegacy30.png
Atop the highest mountain!
DQLegacy50.png
Only a learned scholar can help you pass the lava unharmed.
DQLegacy33.png
The monster library
DQLegacy20.png
Desert village
Royalty.png
Aldain can change appearance!
DQLegacy9.jpg
Boogie woogie at the bar!

CREDITS:

SCRIPTS:
Nelderson, Ekras, Sojabird, Yanfly, Gexrox, Woratana, Fridgecrisis,
StorymasterQ, Synthesize, Ty, Diedrupo, Night5h4d3,
dadartman.

Special Thanks:
nelderson(RPGMaker VX Community), dadartman

RESOURCES:
Square Enix
Dragon’s Den
Oran Gemeo (Logo, Title Screen and Game Over)
Myself

GAME DOWNLOAD:

Version: Final Patch (1/31/14)

Estimated Play Time – 40 hours / 50+ hours if you do post game

You can download the final version here! The list of changes is extensive. Check the thread out here or the patch notes released on RMN for more details.

Edited by Orias Obderhode
  • Upvote 5

fantastic! can't wait to play it

• Upvote 1

What did you use to make this?

Bumping the thread! Just started back working on this project again. Here are some more current screenshots from the latest region.

DQLRosevine.pngDQLegacy30.png

Cool! Kinda similar to my idea for a Dragon Warrior VII-2, except not part of that storyline. Don't get me wrong, I'm kinda glad you're doing this because my game may never see the light of day., seeing as I haven't worked on it in about a year. I can't wait to play the demo!

If you include the font in the fonts folder, the user won't have to install it.

Cool! Kinda similar to my idea for a Dragon Warrior VII-2, except not part of that storyline. Don't get me wrong, I'm kinda glad you're doing this because my game may never see the light of day., seeing as I haven't worked on it in about a year. I can't wait to play the demo!

I just loved the concept behind DW7's time travel system! I hope you enjoy the demo. :)

If you include the font in the fonts folder, the user won't have to install it.

Oh thats really neat to know, I had no idea. Thanks!

fantastic! I need to play more of the first version again.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but may I ask how you are implementing the shards? I don't see RPG maker handling the rotate/free movement very well.

Hm... as a certain dhampir once said, "

"

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but may I ask how you are implementing the shards? I don't see RPG maker handling the rotate/free movement very well.

Well, you don't actually have the chance to actully "place" the shard like you did in DW7. There are numerous pedestals and placing a shard will cause the graphics to change though!

Been working hard on the breeding center for the game. I have all concepts done and graphics ripped and just finished the Monster Library. Here is some screenshots from the breeding center and library. :)

DQLegacy34.pngDQLegacy32.png

DQLegacy33.png

The breeding system is coming along quite nicely! At this rate, the entire breeding system and all the monster possibilities will be completed and finalized by the end of the month! Here are some screenshots of the Monster Breeding System and the Monster Library associated with it. It's quite a task, as there are 107 possible monsters to make!

DQLegacy35.png

To select two monsters, you need to click the family icons and then select from your list of monsters below.

DQLegacy36.png

The result!

DQLegacy37.png

I chose an image of 1EyeClown so that I wouldn't divulge too many breeding possibilities, but the Library is 100% completed.

I've compiled a list of all possible monsters, the skill essences they give, and the gene they pass on.

http://rpgmaker.net/...ll_Essences.pdf

Progress on Legacy of the Lost has been going smoothly. I'm roughly a little halfway done with the game and think now would be the best time to release the final public demo. With this demo, breeding will be included so people get to try out this exciting new feature.

However, before I release the demo to the public, I would like to have a beta test. If you are interested in helping out, let me know on here or through PM! I am about 2-3 days away from finishing the demo, but I just wanted to get the word out that I am seeking testers. Keep in mind, this demo is expected to take a little over 20 hours to complete. Below is a list of changes from the previous version to the new one:

Changes from previous version (1.5) to 2.0:

- Three new regions, Illae, Esrarch and Onyu have been added.

- Monster Breeding is now available.

- Tons of new sidequests were added.

- Based on the answers to the questions at the beginning of the game, Aldain now starts with a special skill.

- Drop rates on monster materials have increased.

- Heal is no longer "holy" based.

- The process for getting information to get through Erdrich Forest has changed.*

- Expansion of Arena.

- Arena no longer only revives Aldain upon defeat.

- Arena victory music is fixed.

- Changed Olian's sprite.

- Changed Aldain's sprite from the side.

- RobMagic now steals enemy's MP instead of just decreasing it.

- Sap and Slow now work with 100% accuracy.

- Removed the "!" warping you to Cardial.

- Exit Bells no longer stop working after the Cardial Region.

*Dr. Rothberg will now simply tell you the route through the forest without having to retrieve the Holy Water first. Now you can get both in any order.

Send me a IM when this entire game (( Not demo )) is complete. It looks professional, and very different from most RPG Maker titles I have seen.

If I may ask. How did you create the breeding system? I'm implimenting Monster breeding in my game (obviously) and it may help out.

@Derpametric:

I appreciate the support! I'll do my best to remember to let you know when finished.

@Tesla:

Oh the breeding system was a nightmare. Basically, it was all done through variables and switches. It probably took me a little over a month to complete the entire thing with all the possibilities. It only took that time because I limit the number of potential monsters you can get on a playthrough. If you had an almost unlimted number of monsters, I don't think the way I did it would work too well.

This looks great! Thanks for the new update!

@Orias Obderhode

Well thats disheartening. Guess I'm stuck with same methods then. At least at the moment there are only a few monsters to deal with so the combinations are few.

Progress is coming along nicely!

I just now finished the 11th region! There are only 2 full length regions left plus the final area. I've also finally revamped the spell animations to fit the 8-bit style, I think they turned out pretty nice!

Here are just a few examples:

DQLegacy46.png

DQLegacy44.png

DQLegacy47.png

The game is shaping up quite nicely and there are quite a few extras that have been added in recently. Here's a sneak peak!

Tinymedal Queen's Palace

DQMedalQueen.png

Wondrous prizes await those who collect tinymedals!

Achievement Man

DQLegacy51.png

The Achievements are listed below. Could you complete them all?

Achievement List

• Monster Master I and II - Recruit 4/8 Monsters to your team.
  • Who Needs the Church? - Make it to the achievement man without using church services.
  • Treasure Gambler - Master the Treasure Chest Game.
  • Herb Man - Synthesize every type of item through herb hunting.
  • This is Yardrick (I and II)!!! - Master the arena in past and present time.
  • Wrath of a Monster Master - Acquire Gold Coat, Tiamat's Fang, The Eternal, Rosevine's Grasp, Arachnio, Excalibur or Demon's Volition.
  • Relic Master - Acquire Shield of Loto, Tuspimati, Gastraphetes or Ragnarok.
  • Power to Rival the Gods - Acquire Thor's Blade, Spirit Surge, Arcane Benison or Runic Aurora.
  • Extreme Town Makeover - Rebuild Onyu.
  • One Man's Trash is Another Woman's Treasure I, II, III, and IV - Bring the Tinymedal Woman 10, 20, 30 and 40 medals respectively.
  • Demon Lords Will Follow My Orders! - Successfully breed a BOSS monster.
  • I Know Myself! - Attain honesty of 20 OR dishonesty of 20.
  • I am the Ultimate Mage! - Acquire an essence of Mega Magic.
  • Mystic Talent - Acquire Mysticism for all characters. Acquire Attunement, Aggravate, Last Rite, Blood Rite and Resonance for their respective characters at the Dharma Temple.
  • Savior of Araginol - Clear the game

Dharma Temple

DQLegacy48.png

At Dharma Temple, you can undertake trials to master powerful abilities such as "Aggravate," which taunts an enemy into attacking you.

DQLegacy50.png

The only way to make it through Wyoburi Volcano alive is to find a way to stop the lava source!

The 10th region concludes with my favorite boss battle so far! It'll take using all of your resources to conquer this fight!

DQLegacy49.png

Looks beautiful! I can't wait to play it!

Those achievements sound like official xbl achievements.

My computer got a virus and I had to reformat so I think I'll just start over when the full version comes out.

You should try and see if you can use the Dragon Warrior I font that's hosted on the site. I recommend this font to all fangame creators, at least the ones that are designing their games with NES/GBC graphics.

I anticipate finishing the game sometime early next year. I actually just finished another region yesterday - now I have the last full length region left which will be the longest of all of them.

When I was first starting the game, I had looked into the Dragon Warrior font I found on this site. I really liked it - but there were a few characters missing. I'd be afraid to change things now since the game is so close to being completed, because it could cause issues with dialogue boxes and the menu. I tried to pick a font that was pretty close to classic Dragon Warrior font though. :)