Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
caprica

DQ VI: "the naming god has forbidden that name!"

Yeah... I remember hearing about that Madonna thing. I guess Square Enix has something against her...? XP

The word probably has some other meaning that I'm not presently aware of.

Wow. That filter is horrible. At least once it blocks the Americanization of a word, but not the British spelling (hooray for British people being able to bypass censors!). All of that and yet they still missed some.

But seriously, I can't call my guy BIGNEWS?

HAHAHAHA! BigNews! I like that one. I always wondered why YangoPie wasn't allowed in Joker. Is it the Yangus part? Or the pie part? What is so bad about pie? That's not insulting at all! Pie is a delicious compliment! And what is wrong with the word Madonna?! Maybe you're right, Sasuke, and they don't want the reference to the singer. I mean, Madonna is just an older Lady Gaga.

HEY, does anyone know if Lady Gaga would pass? Nothing wrong with the word Lady. And Gaga isn't a bad word.

There's the naming guy in Dragon Warrior VII too. He let Jack and Marcello pass when I was renaming the hero and Gabo. I'm surprised Jack passed since you know you could name a character JackOff or JackUp or YouJack or JackMe.

There's the naming guy in Dragon Warrior VII too. He let Jack and Marcello pass when I was renaming the hero and Gabo. I'm surprised Jack passed since you know you could name a character JackOff or JackUp or YouJack or JackMe.

Wait... VII has a filter? That seems... kinda unbelievable. I mean, the game can get awfully crude, so it just seems unlikely...

And I think pie can be used as slang to refer to part of the female anatomy, yo. Mind, I don't know if PIE itself is a censored word. It might be the Yango part, or something between the Yango and Pie that triggers the censor.

This is weird, considering in Japan there is a lot of swearing in DQ games (from what I've read and some supposedly accurate fan translations) and even in the English DWVII. And look at square's games *cough*FFVII*cough*

Well, Japanese things like games and anime usually do have more swearing then their "cleaner" English translations.

I think swearing is different in both culture. There are some things we do every day that the Japanese would consider rude, and there are words in Japanese that would shock us. And manga and anime do use a lot of swearing. Wouldn't that mean the younger generation is picking up more swear words? And that the future generation will swear like salty sea pirates?

I don't think Dragon Warrior VII has a filter. Monster Joker has a filter because you can play that game against other players and they didn't want players insulting other players...? Maybe...? I don't know why Dragon Quest VI has a filter. Hell, randy, sexy, damn..... there's no major swearing but there's some slight cursing. And Dragon Quest VI is the only Zenitian trilogy game to have a rating of T. Every other game is E+10. Why couldn't V have a rating of T? If you marry Bianca and go to Roundbeck's inn there's practically a sex scene! And some of the things Tuppence says! And um hello DEBORA!

What's that mean?

I hate in Joker 1 when you name a Frogface, Frogface and its rejected. wtf?

I think you should be able to use any name you want, but you have to change them to go on wifi....

I know this isn't cursing or anything, but I like how you can name the bag in DW7.

I know this isn't cursing or anything, but I like how you can name the bag in DW7.

I thought it was interesting how the Japanese version of DQ6DS allows you to rename the bag, but our English version disabled that. Why on earth would they do that?

Perhaps to spare the world from a sudden influx of scrotum jokes.

You can rename your bag in DQ5 DS, I know this because I tried to rename my monsters in my party not storage and it gave me the option to name my bag, but why would I name a bag, an inatimate object >_>.

Perhaps to spare the world from a sudden influx of scrotum jokes.

They do say there is always room in your bag

I was able to name my hero (pardon my French) Jackass and the game did not care at all. Of course, I changed it right back, it was kind of a joke about one of the things the king of Swanstone says. (something like "Thanks, [hero]. It is [hero], isn't it?").

I also changed all my characters names to those from the unofficial SFC/SNES translation, to make the guide a little less confusing. (I know I really shouldn't use a guide, but I was kind of lost because I found my copy of the game after like a year of not playing.) ANYWAYS, i'm surprised they didn't ban those names or anything.

Yeah... I remember hearing about that Madonna thing. I guess Square Enix has something against her...? XP

The word probably has some other meaning that I'm not presently aware of.

Well, before the oversexed singer, Madonna traditionally referred to Mary (Jesus' mom) so maybe it's disallowed for that for some reason?

Gland (because the potential association with *shudder* B-R-E-A-S-T milk is too dangerous to risk allowing any anatomical enthusiasts to reference any of the other eighty thousand kinds of glands?)

This must come from french slang.

Just look closely at an oak nut, and you should understand...

male genitalia this time

Back on the subject of unnecessary censors in Dragon Quest, I have to wonder: How come they censor all these names due to "offensive" words in them, yet they get by with calling a monster 'Baalzack" (which sounds, if you'll excuse my pointing this out, VERY similar to the term 'Ball-sack')?

(Sorry, whoever is the Admin of this forum! I just needed to point that out- PLEASE don't penalize me for it!)

Baalzak is a word play with Baal (the evil god) and the french writer Balzac.

In French it was named Deickenz (from the root "dei" = god and Dickens)

THE NAMING GOD HAS SPOKEN DO NOT QUESTION THEE. The Naming God does not accept such feeble mumblings. You have angered the NAMING GOD. In His wrath He shall rename your middle name Beiber and you shall forever be marked as a Beiber.

At least you're allowed whatever name in Joker 2. At least I think. I haven't encountered a problem there. I like how katakana and hiragana can be used. YAY, I'm learning Japanese slightly!

In the first Joker game naming monsters was a pain. EVERY name I came up with was rejected. I wanted to name a Lips monster Madonna. REJECTED. I wanted a mini demon to be named Lucifer Jr. REJECTED. I wanted an Ogre named YangoPie. REJECTED.

I wanted a King Slime named GODHATESQUEERS. Oddly accepted. (lol, just kidding God loves queer people. Ask the naming god.)

You know you can always use 3DS Action Replay or DSi Action Replay Max and modify the hex values of your name in the save data. I do it for Brigandine all the time... Then you can say to the naming god... HAHAHAHAHA I used the name!!

This crap better not be in DQVII 3DS.

The naming god was literally a godsent, i dont liked the Spanish version of the names, and i gived them their original japanese ones, i didnt know there were censoring, its hilarious!

When I played 9 I tried to name my mage Tsukasa, after the main character from my favoutite anime, yet it was blocked. Yet when I replaced the K with a C, it was fine. What, so "Suka" is blocked?

OMG, .hack//SIGN, right? LOVE that show!

Oh, and about the whole Madonna thing... Madonna is a name often mentioned when talking about Mary, the mother of Jesus.

Edited by Solo Zenithia