Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chesskid1

Dragon Quest VI English Patch Released

i have nothing to do with this patch, found it on a rom translation site posted by the user TheGrinch and posted in here. cool forum drama though i guess? i saw a few fan translations posted on here and i thought i would post this one up, i will remove it i guess.

Thanks for taking that down. I have seen that several other forums have threads about this now too, but we don't really want to add to that.

Although it's not a written rule, we tend to only post ROMS or fan-translations for games that have hit the secondary market or are definitely not going to be localized in English. The idea there is that we don't want to take money out of the pocket of Square-Enix. We'd like them to keep making DQ games, so we try not to do things that might hurt their bottom line.

Regarding this translation, I think it also touched a nerve here because the development team are members of this site and they did not intend for this incomplete beta patch to be released. The localization happens in phases, beginning with a fairly direct and literal translation. After that, someone has to go through it to edit it and add more characterization and flavor. If people mistake a leaked beta patch for a complete one, it doesn't leave people with a very good impression of the hackers and translators.

Numerous updates have been made to the script since that beta patch. Some bugs are present in the patch as well that have since been ironed out. Notably, you might experience difficulty in deleting an old adventure log for instance.

I don't have a lot of respect for someone who would violate the trust of the hard working team that made this patch. I also think it was poor judgement to pass it around this close to the release of the official localization.

I also think it was poor judgement to pass it around this close to the release of the official localization.

I have a feeling that was intentional...

I also think it was poor judgement to pass it around this close to the release of the official localization.

Do you mean that whoever did this is wanting to hurt the sales of the official release? Or do you think they thought that leaking this early would just arouse more interest and thus help sales?

Or perhaps you mean something else. Sorry, I wasn't clear on your meaning here.

As hard as some people worked towards seeing a US release of DQVI, such as redneckpride4ever, it's easy to see why something like this less than 2 months before its release would cause some tempers to flare. I also agree that this getting circulated right before release is in poor taste and no matter the reason for the leak and circulation, the only thing its going to hurt in the end is Dragon Quest localizations in the future.

Well... I'm going to remain optimistic and say the damage this does will probably be minimal. I'm sure the people who will get their hands on it are only the people who were either 100% going to pirate it or 100% going to buy it either way. Perhaps the facebook group should step up its efforts to get people to pre-order it as an effort to counteract this.

I just announced via the facebook page for everyone to pre-order this due to above issues. We want more DQ in the years to come!

Same dude posted it at gbatemp. I'm pretty sure you can go there and ask for removal.

Anyway, I dont think an incomplete patch will hurt sales. To the contrary, it's a good way to whet the appetite until realease day. People who just want to play a translated rom will just download the english one when it becomes available. People who want to buy it will buy it even if they have flash carts.

Hopefully Ninty will give this game some good publicity as they did with IX.

yeah, you guys bring up some good points about why or why not this should be posted.

imo the only people who can even use this patch are people with flash cards, and we know people who have flash cards use it mostly for you know what (a very small percentage use for homebrew), so like someone said the person who is using the patch is really hardcore DQ fan and will buy the US version or is a pirate.

i figured since this is a hardcore dragon quest site there were prolly people who imported it and would appreciate this patch, i didn't know so many would be against it.

also, i doubt this release is coincidence. from what i've read, this patch is completed all the way to when you collect all of the legendary arms. i've never played DQ6 but i'm told this is very near to the end of the game so this patch has been worked on a long time. probably some annoyed fan working on his translation for months (since nintendo took so long to localize then) then nintendo announced they are localizing so he spite releases it for his work isn't in vain.

Edited by Chesskid1

yeah but I dont think that's the issue

The issue is this patch wasnt made by "The Grinch". It was made by a forum member and it's a preliminary version.

Do you mean that whoever did this is wanting to hurt the sales of the official release? Or do you think they thought that leaking this early would just arouse more interest and thus help sales?

Or perhaps you mean something else. Sorry, I wasn't clear on your meaning here.

I dunno, just have a feeling whoever did this knew what effects it could have prior to release and did it to troll everyone.

Nintendo's been really protective with things. They even threatened websites that were posting screenshots of Pokemon Black and White. This site could easily get hammered by Nintendo for something like that.

Or I can take the tinfoil hat off and it could be something as simple as someone slipping and the patch getting out accidently.

Whoever this "TheGrinch" guy is, he's definitely claiming it as purely his own work and he seems awfully smug. He posted this in a thread about the patch at gbatemp.net:

Hello, gentle readers.

1. I've seen some mob-mentality and misinformation in the past week, and normally I wouldn't care, but it seems to be confusing people. I'll leave a few remarks about this translation patch here in this thread only.

I find it hilarious that I've been accused of plagiarizing my own translation. Yes, it is all my translation since the time I first started it in February as a personal challenge. This patch was worked on by two people, myself (translation) and a friend (hacker). Anything else you read is hearsay and misinformation.

2. Don't assume the contents of the translation if you haven't played it. There are 0 main script lines, ~80 party chat lines, and ~13 system text lines missing. What I mean by "certain point" is that I haven't gone over it in a long time with my own eyes, but the game is fully playable to the very end.

3. A critic playtested the patch in a far worse condition a month or so ago, and very much enjoyed the translation, but I am a bit embarrassed to have released it to that person at that point.

4. North American/European players may be confused by certain nuances, tropes, and personalities in the DS version of Dragon Quest VI: å¹»ã®å¤§åœ° (maboroshi no daichi). The translation should encourage discussion and broader understanding of the content of the Japanese DS game. It is not meant as a replacement for Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation.

5. Since I'm now posting I guess I'll try to answer questions people have about words, names, etc... when I have time. On the other hand, maybe not.

Perhaps it should be noted that this guy has a single post there, but it may be unimportant.

So according to TheGrinch, it was all his work eh?

Hmm...

I dunno, nobody translates a tome like that to open a dialogue.

I guess I can download the patch and compare the translations. I wish Tom were around, I'd like to hear his take on this.

I think its rather shady that someone with access to that beta patch would pass it around outside of the testing team to people who apparently can't be trusted and want to claim the work for themselves. Hopefully you guys will be able to find out who the culprit is and get this guy discredited and shown to be a thief.

whys it so hard to believe he did it himself?

I don't know, I guess it's a bit rare for someone nobody has heard of to come out of nowhere and dump a translation patch out there. More commonly, people indicate that they are working on something and provide progress updates as they go. It usually starts with a couple screens of a menu translation.

It's certainly not impossible, and I haven't ruled out the possibility that he did it. Where is "TheGrinch" hanging out these days? I would love to have a chat about some of the aspects of the translation, and why he made some of the choices he made.

I don't expect him to join this community just so I can chat him up, but do you know any of his regular haunts? What forum did he originally post the patch to?

Because DQ games with party chat contain massive, massive amounts of text! DQ V didn't have that much story added from the original and it was over 18,000 windows of text. VI is easily over 20,000. I localized about 4,000 (program) lines in Notepad++ and the scroll bar didn't even move. In order for one person to get it done so fast, you'd have to turn into the South Park kids from the World of Warcraft episode.

Edited by Dwaine

Because I checked it with an older beta build that I was given and it's word-for-word the same.

I don't expect him to join this community just so I can chat him up, but do you know any of his regular haunts? What forum did he originally post the patch to?

He posted it on a public torrent site that anyone can upload to. I found the patch through gbatemp, under the NDS rom hacking forum, which he currently posted in the first time yesterday, in response to people saying it's not his patch, so you can contact him there. (it's on page 2 of that subforum atm)

while i agree that it is a massive amount to translate, it is backwards to automatically assume he is guilty until proven innocent, it should be the other way around.

edit: sorry to hear that GrandAlchemist :(

Edited by Chesskid1

Have you played the patch? Do ask others around here, i believe they tested the patch and recognized their work.

I saw that thread on gbatemp and nobody was accusing it of being stolen work. The only concerns were the fact that it was a torrent with no comments and the potential of it containing a virus.

Yeah, because not that many people had it and don't see why anyone would leak it.

Just so you people know, what you're playing is not even close to a final product. To all the douches that didn't play DQ V and $#!&@ed that it was a direct or "very literal" translation, well this one is! Not sure which build it is, but I was only able to localize the early bazaar and Rydock bits. And even then it's only a pass and a half. So there are still inconsistencies like Rydock being Redach, etc.

Please don't download this. Buy the game, please. If Nintendo is going to stand buy the series, then we need to stand by them.

i'd rather buy the game too. ussually people make english patch if it's confirmed to be cancelled.

Yeah, because not that many people had it and don't see why anyone would leak it.

Just so you people know, what you're playing is not even close to a final product. To all the douches that didn't play DQ V and $#!&@ed that it was a direct or "very literal" translation, well this one is! Not sure which build it is, but I was only able to localize the early bazaar and Rydock bits. And even then it's only a pass and a half. So there are still inconsistencies like Rydock being Redach, etc.

Please don't download this. Buy the game, please. If Nintendo is going to stand buy the series, then we need to stand by them.

I don't think you need to worry too much about us buying the product. I think most people here will be buying it. But its not too much to ask for a better translation. Even if this one is very literal, it might be closer to the original and not feature the horrible puns/accents. And even if the characters are saying junk like 'we go down hill', its still better than 'you'z need dah go down dah h'll'.

And for the record, I own every DQ game that has been released to America. And I still would like a better language patch for DQIV and V.

Edited by Kenryoku_Maxis

Literal is never better. There's more to a game than just translating text. If KZ says it's the yanked build, there are still lots of context and super rough edges to still work out.

I imagine you lot stopped the translation once VI was announced.