Photo

War of Heaven and Hell: Nokturn's Zenith (OOC+ Sign Up)

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts
  • Tag City:Chester (Morristown)
  • Tag State:New Jersey
  • Tag Zip:07930
  • Tag Country:USA
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Okay, this is my first RP, so try to bear with me if something doesn't make sense in what I'm doing.

Though the RP has started, I will still take new characters, so feel free to request if you wish to join

Scenario:
After his defeat at the hands of a band of heroes, Nokturnus began to contemplate the true power of the light and the upper world. Seeking continually to achieve his goal of being the ultimate entity, Nokturnus has usurped the forces of the underworld in an effort to overthrow the Zenithians and take the powers of heaven for himself. Caught in between this battle are the people of the mortal world. Adventurers now gather in an attempt to quell the fighting and stop Nokturnus before all is reduced to carnage and destruction. They will have to battle some of the most dangerous entities who have or will ever roam these lands.

Setting:
World of DQ IV 100 years after the events of the game. Monsters from any part of the "Zenithian Trilogy" can be included, but all characters must be original.
Nokturnus' Army will be led by the main DQ villains, who will serve as generals of sorts, whilst secondary villains such as Baramos and Murdaw will serve as a second-in-command to their respective leaders.
The Zenithian forces will be led by the Zenith Dragon, Leonyx, Empyrea (her DQ8 incarnation), and Celestria, all standing on equal ground in the decision making.
Bonus Boss characters without any particular alignment such as Estark, Xenlon/Divinegon, Dragovian Lord, etc. will serve as neutral parties that can be challenged for assistance once a party has grown strong enough.
Evil hidden characters such as Rigor Mortex will likely be kept out, or play similar roles to the previous group, though much harder to defeat and turn.

The geography has warped to retain every town from both 6 and 4 (towns from 5 can be small settlements).
As far as technology, I'd say something kinda like FF 4 or my impression of FF 6. Imagine steampunk technology, maybe tanks and airships, but it's still so new that magic and medieval themes still persist in a stronger manner

Set-up:

When applying to join the RP, please specify which party you wish to join. Try to keep the parties even. I will update this first post with the number of members in each party. Try to keep the number of members in each party within about 2 or 3 members of each others.
If they are relevant to your characters backstory, you may have a few companions, monster or human, accompanying your character. If you can handle playing their parts, you may add them, but don't go too overboard.

Tamed Monster companions must be of reasonable strength. Don't try to start the RP with an Overkilling Machine or a Black Dragon.
Monster companions can be added later, or current monsters can "evolve" or grow (Small Fry grows into Great Dragon later, Slime companion becomes part of King Slime). New monsters must be within the character limit, and try to wait a reasonable amount of time before adding such a change.
I rate strength just as much on skill as on the actual character. A king Slime with no skills yet, for example, will be considered weaker than a healslime with extremely high level healing spells

Here is a basic template on how to join this RP.

Name:

Race:

Hometown:

Class:

Bio:

Rules:
1. No godmodding. Don't try to offer any sort of Deus Ex Machina in any situation. Your character has to be reasonably powerful for the point at which the RP is happening. Characters will grow stronger, but do not make them ungodly powerful.

2. A leader's word is law. Your characters and pitch ideas, but anything major, such as challenging a large force or journeying to a distant continent must be approved by the leader of your party.

3. Give substantial posts. I'm not asking for page lengths, but try to make your post at least a few sentences, and outline what is happening around you rather than simply what you are saying.

4. Try not to control other characters. You are allowed to have your RP persona give suggestions or commands, but do not have your post directly dictate what another person will do.

5. If the party splits up, stay in groups. I find that a lot of the actions taken by people are much more sensible to this RP if they stay with another person who may restrict or monitor their actions. If your party decides to split up for a task, try to keep them in pairs (of posters) at the very least.

6. Someone must be capable of human speech. You are allowed to make your main character a monster if you so choose, but make sure one person accompanying them understands what they are saying in human terms. Don't give us simple gestures or growling noises and expect us to interpret for you.

Now to start, here are my characters:
Spoiler

Lily
Spoiler

Kalmana
Spoiler

DJ BlackJack will be RPing the villains
Spoiler

Jay the Hawkhart Ace
Spoiler

mhollan3
Spoiler

Edited by Ring Man, 08 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Teachers, assigning a ton of homework doesn't teach us more, it just means you suck too much to teach it yourselves

In charge of "War of Heaven and Hell: Nokturn's Zenith" A DQ 4-6 RP

I'm a Brony and damn proud of it.

Stop them from ruining a fan favorite.
http://www.savederpy.com/

#2 Princess Lily

• Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,232 posts
  • Interests:swimming, drawing, playing video games, watching anime, reading

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Name: Lily

Race: Mermaid (they were in 6)

Hometown: where the mermaids are found

Class: unknown (might be a sage), monster master

Bio: A friendly young mermaid who is playful yet timid at times. Has friendship with many monsters found in the sea and some found on land too. She is skilled with magic mainly for healing and protecting her monster friends, but can also do some combat magic. She seems to be quite gifted in her talent for magic, but is young and not very experienced. She apprears adept at healing, but has never been tested in combat. She is friendly to both human and monster as well as other non-human races. She is able to come on land using magic to alter herself though she retains traits and behaviors that reveal her true nature.

Is this Ok? I can edit as need if not.

Name: Squishy (what Lily named him)

Race: Man-o-War

Hometown: Sea

Class: none

Bio: A Man-o-War who Lily met one day while playing near her home. Lily named him Squishy after the soft squishiness of Man-o-Wars. Squishy appears to be equally a pet and best friend for Lily.

Edited by Princess Lily, 28 December 2011 - 04:59 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Madason

• Sword Slinger

• 313 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3396-6979-7759
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Fairy Tail, and more!
  • Tag City:Turlock
  • Tag State:Califonia
  • Tag Country:America

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Name: Spike

Race: Human

Hometown: Somnia

Class: Gladiator

Bio: A desdant of one of those who defeated Nokturnus long ago. Has powerful fighting moves. Wants to learn about his past family. Kind of a smart alec and always says whats on his mind however people still can agree with him and get along. However, since he is mostly reading he never talks much.

Edited by NeohopeSTF, 27 December 2011 - 07:57 PM.

dd_bar_011.png

#4 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Okay, I like where you 2 are starting, but I need just a few extra details

Both of you could maybe give a little more insight into how well versed they are in their skills. Also, I assume you're going to be joining my party?

Lily, try to expand on some things, like how your character relates to humans, how/if she travels overland, maybe a little more insight into how skilled she is with different magic (i.e. novice, practiced, healing magic, buffing magic?)

Neo, maybe a little more info on your characters past, try to explain how it effects his personality (is he a loner, stuck up, good vs. bad with people)

One more thing. Lily, given your description, are you planning to bring a monster companion? If so, please edit a bio in for them. I prefer to have 1 or 2 monsters be given personality as full team members as opposed to having several of them show up at random just for battle

Also, you two are not subject to this but I need to emphasize something now. If I feel it necessary, I may delegate players to other teams in an attempt to keep them even

Edited by Ring Man, 27 December 2011 - 03:57 PM.

Teachers, assigning a ton of homework doesn't teach us more, it just means you suck too much to teach it yourselves

#5 Princess Lily

• Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,232 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

Ok, I'll edit in companions. I'm fine with your rulings. You sound like an experienced RPer.
Posted Image

#6 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

This is actually my first RP, but I've had experience joining other ones.

Lily, you don't HAVE to add companions necessarily, but if it's an important part of your character, I think it fits well

EDIT: That's good Lily. Can't wait to see the monster in action

Also, just to confirm, you two want to join my party, not start your own, correct? If otherwise, please edit that into your post

Edited by Ring Man, 28 December 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#7 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,054 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

Lets say i want to be a tamer, Obviously I wouldn't be able to tame "boss" monsters in the RP, what would the highest tier monster i could tame?
This is actually fairly accurate to me ^^;
Posted Image

#8 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

Lets say i want to be a tamer, Obviously I wouldn't be able to tame "boss" monsters in the RP, what would the highest tier monster i could tame?

A fair question. I'd say any "common" monster that can be randomly encountered.

Ex: Hunter Mech, no Overkilling Machine. Slime, but no Metal King Slime

As we get farther in and the RP character gets stronger, you can choose to tame monsters fitting for your strength, but still try to keep it under control and within the two companion per character limit.

Also, characters can switch sides if it fits their personality. Dhuran, for example, has a sense of honor, so he may switch sides if he fights the correct opponent.

Edited by Ring Man, 28 December 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#9 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,054 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

Thats the thing with the tamer though, There is a 3 character limit but with a tamer he'd probably constantly be getting monsters. Would it be sorta like DWM with having only 3 at a time (or in this case 2) and be able to switch them off occasionally, like in a town?
Posted Image

#10 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

Thats the thing with the tamer though, There is a 3 character limit but with a tamer he'd probably constantly be getting monsters. Would it be sorta like DWM with having only 3 at a time (or in this case 2) and be able to switch them off occasionally, like in a town?

I had two ideas for tamer

First was your idea, swapping between a few monsters at a time.

Other was, have a few well established monsters, and some that show up only for battle, sort of like expanding on "Wolf Whistle" or in the style of Summons from FF

#11 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,054 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

Ok, for the second option i'm guessing you're going for something like this:

Have a character (lets call him Kazuma.) who is the tamer. He has two others, a metal slime & shadow as main companions. Kazuma has a macguffan for taming called the "tamer soul" which is pretty much a necklace or ring that holds monster spirits and such. As my character gets stronger the ring gets stronger and can hold stronger spirits. During battle Kazuma can summon monsters to do an attack. (say I'm up against a magmalice I summon a monster to do an ice attack, then leaves). Would something like that be acceptable?
Posted Image

#12 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

Have a character (lets call him Kazuma.) who is the tamer. He has two others, a metal slime & shadow as main companions. Kazuma has a macguffan for taming called the "tamer soul" which is pretty much a necklace or ring that holds monster spirits and such. As my character gets stronger the ring gets stronger and can hold stronger spirits. During battle Kazuma can summon monsters to do an attack. (say I'm up against a magmalice I summon a monster to do an ice attack, then leaves). Would something like that be acceptable?

Works perfectly fine for me. Just create a bio, and make sure it covers if the characters been traveling to explain currently acquired spirits. Also, while you can include a metal slime companion, try not to get too carried away

#13 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,054 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

Works perfectly fine for me. Just create a bio, and make sure it covers if the characters been traveling to explain currently acquired spirits. Also, while you can include a metal slime companion, try not to get too carried away

You can think of him more as a non combatant until later on. See character Bio

Name: Kazuma

Race: Human
-

Hometown: Alltrades

Class: Tamer

Bio: Ever since he was young he has had a bond with monsters. Never going out of his way to kill them unless necessary. Unfortunately when he was seven, his family was killed off and he was left alone. Not by monsters, but by bandits looking for gold and items to steal. Ever since then he tried to have as little contact with people as possible. Mostly just enough to rent a room at a inn or to buy a little bit of food. He met his first partner when he was wondering around and heard a battle in progress. Out of curiosity he saw two liquid metal slimes and a very small metal slime being attacked by a traveler. Typically he would let something like that go as it is a bit of the circle of life, but when the traveler managed to get defeat the liquid metal slimes, the traveler went after the metal slime. Kazuma intervened and managed to fight off the already exhausted traveler. Kazuma decided to take the little slime in and care for him until he can fend for himself, then it can decide what to do for its self.

Name: Copper.

Race: Metal slime

Hometown: ???

Bio: Most of his bio is covered in Kazuma's. Pretty much after that event he is afraid of most people. He usually stays inside of Kazuma's pocket or bag when going into towns so he doesn't get attention drawn to him. He is afraid to fight and doesn't want to see Kazuma get hurt. Not knowing how to read all that much, Kazuma bought a book on basic cleric spells and is in the process of trying to teach Copper basic healing spells.

Name: Chad

Race: Shadow

Hometown: ???

Bio: He joined up with Kazuma after trying to steal some food from him when he was traveling through some forests. When Chad was defeated he just watched Kazuma with anticipation of the killing blow, but it didn't come. Kazuma instead tossed him an apple and told him that if he was hungry he could have just asked for one and continued to walk away from him. Being curious about Kazuma, Chad followed him for a while watching him be kind to monsters and even being nice to a metal slime, which are usually hunted on sight. Chad approached Kazuma again this time asking to join him in his travels handing him a ring he stole found. He heard that only someone with a heart that can connect with monsters can use. Kazuma seemed like the only one who could actually use the ring.

Ring occupants: None.

------

I also suggest that in your opening post, you copy and paste each of our characters in a spoiler tag. Would make it easier to read up on participants.
Posted Image

#14 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:12 AM

Duely noted. Certainly helps with the post size.
You Metal slime reminds me of Gome from Dai no Daiboken

I assume those are all of the "deep" characters you're going to use. And I once again assume you're joining my team

#15 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,054 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

Yeah, they are most likely going to be the monsters who get the most character development and screen time of my party.

And sure, don't see why not.
Posted Image

#16 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

Also, I need to establish one limitation on your ring for the sake of control.

You're free to add any monster that the party battles, but the more powerful the monster, the more strain it puts on your tamer. So, you could summon a green dragon if you chose, but it would be significantly more taxing than summoning say a chimera.

It's the best balance I could find for this power, bearing in mind the similar summon concept from Final Fantasy

#17 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,054 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

Also, I need to establish one limitation on your ring for the sake of control.

You're free to add any monster that the party battles, but the more powerful the monster, the more strain it puts on your tamer. So, you could summon a green dragon if you chose, but it would be significantly more taxing than summoning say a chimera.

It's the best balance I could find for this power, bearing in mind the similar summon concept from Final Fantasy

Yeah, i was thinking that the ring sort of uses MP. The stronger the monster, the more MP. Of course, as i get stronger it wouldn't be as taxing, but it'd be impossible for my characters current strength to summon, lets say a great dragon without having major repercussions. (aka it not only uses up all of the MP, but saps Kazumas HP as well. Making summoning a vastly high tier monster a all or nothing attack sorta speak.)
Posted Image

#18 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

Alright then, you're all set. Any monster is yours to command, but try not to god mod even with the most powerful.

Maybe that's how I'll incorporate the bonus bosses in the game, as summons.

Anyway, thanks for joining, we've almost hit the head count.

#19 Princess Lily

• Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,232 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Can help me. Um, I'm not skilled in party leader role, but not sure how to explain my character being in a party to start with.

Name: Clippy

Race: Yabby

Hometown: Sea

Class: None

Bio: A Yabby Lily found one day and tamed as a friend and pet. Quick clawed and hard shelled Clippy can be tricky to deal with at times.
Posted Image

#20 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Lily, the explanation I had in mind was relatively simple.

Somina calls together heroes as a result of this crisis. I show up to volunteer, Spike (Neo) lives in Somnia already. Lily can show up wondering why all the humans are gathering, maybe deciding to enter the city to look around, and joining when you're mistaken for a human recruit (Assuming your character has legs on land).

Kazuma is maybe just a wanderer who joins us to protect the monsters caught in the conflict, only trusting us since I have a similar respect for monsters as a ranger.

My other idea was to go the DQ 8 route and kind of explain it in flash back.

I'll probably adjust the story as/if more people join, but that's the basic idea I had to build off of. Any objections and/or suggestions?

Edited by Ring Man, 29 December 2011 - 05:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users