Monster Arena Guide
Note: This guide WILL NOT be focused on all Infamous Monster locations or rewards earned from completing ranks of the Monster Arena. This guide's sole focus is to help players complete Rank S of the Monster Arena as soon as possible, and if playing the 3DS version, to have Morrie join the party as soon as possible.
Part 1: Opening the Monster Arena
After completing the events in Ascantha, head south towards Pickham. Towards the south east of Pickham, you will find a circular building with a man standing on the roof. This is the Monster Arena, and the man is Morrie, owner of the Arena. Head up to the roof and speak with Morrie a few times to obtain the Monster Memos. Your job is to find the monsters, defeat them, then return to Morrie. Look over the three memos and see what monsters you need to hunt.
These monsters are Infamous Monsters. Infamous Monsters roam the overworld and are special monsters compared to others. If playing the PS2 version, Infamous Monsters are visible on the overworld and will be encountered when the party runs into them. In the 3DS version, Infamous Monsters are marked by a special symbol that floats above their head to distinguish them from other monsters on the overworld.
These are the monsters on the memos and their locations:
- Squiggles the Khalamari Kid - Head west from the Monster Arena until you reach a small house. South of this house are two beach areas. On one of these beaches you will find Squiggles. Defeat him and have him join you.
- Lonely Joe the Restless Armour - Return to Maella Abbey and head towards the Abbey Ruins along the river. You should have seen Lonely Joe while completing the events at Maella Abbey. Lonely Joe is the toughest of these three monsters, so be careful. Defeat him and have him join you.
- Smiles the Slime - Smiles is just outside the entrance of Trodain Castle. You will find him in the sandy area. Smiles won't be available until you are directed towards the castle. Defeat him and have him join you.
With the three monsters defeated, return to the Monster Arena (marked as Morrie's Place in your Zoom list for the time being) and speak with Morrie. He will congratulate you and invite you inside. Go into the building and talk to Morrie again. You will now have access to enter and compete in the Monster Arena whenever you wish.
Part 2: Clearing the Early Ranks
With the Monster Arena now open to enter, it's time to search out some monsters to complete the first four ranks: Rank G, Rank F, Rank E, and Rank D. The three monsters you will be hunting will be tougher than standard enemies, so remember to use Tension to boost attacks, Dazzle to lower the enemy hit rate, and any buffs you have to increase your odds of winning.
The following are the three monsters to look for:
- Hackzilla the Hacksaurus - Zoom to Farebury and exit town through the western gate or walk around to the western gate. From the gate, head north into the forested area. Here you will find Hackzilla roaming around. Defeat her and have her replace Smiles, Squiggles, or Lonely Joe.
- Potbelly the Jargon - Zoom to Trodain Castle and head back to the small cave you passed through. From the exit of the cave, head west towards the end of the peninsula. You should be south west of the chapel near Trodain Castle. Potbelly roams around the end of the peninsula. Defeat him and have him replace Smiles, Squiggles, or Lonely Joe.
- Brickman the Golem - Zoom to Peregrin Quay and head towards the east. You will begin to make a south east path. As you continue this way, you will see a hill with some ruins on it with a small stone archway "entrance." Head to the top of this hill, and among the ruins you will find Brickman. Defeat him and have him replace Smiles, Squiggles, or Lonely Joe.
With these three monsters, return to the Monster Arena and complete Rank G, F, E, and D. Set the monsters so Potbelly is first, Hackzilla is second, and Brickman is third in the line up.
Be sure to save before entering each rank on the first floor, and reset if needed should you lose so you do not lose money and have to repay to enter a rank. Rank D can be the hardest of the four, but is possible with these three monsters.
Once these four ranks have been completed, continue with the story until you have access to the ship.
Part 3: The Might of Talos
With the ship in hand, head to the Holy Isle of Neos located in the middle of the world map. Head straight to the town of Neos in the middle of the island to open it as a Zoom location. Return to any other town on the Zoom location list to save your game. After saving, Zoom back to Neos and head towards the south. Along the path on the western side you will spot Talos standing still. He will ONLY appear once Rank D has been completed.
A word of caution: Talos WILL be difficult to defeat at this point in the game. Psyching up any attacking party members is strongly adviced, as are any available buffs. Talos is susceptible to Dazzle and can be put to sleep via Snooze, so be sure to Dazzle him as soon as possible. Use any money you have to purchase armour from Neos, as it has some of the strongest armour at this point of the game, and will help improve your odds. The Gold Golems on the Holy Isle of Neos will reward you with plenty of gold you can use to purchase the gear on the island, so feel free to fight them if you need extra money.
Talos can kill party members in a single hit due to his high attack power, and his high defense and HP makes Pschying up very important to deal damage on him and defeat him. Don't let his strength get to you and be sure to keep someone on healing duty (preferably Angelo).
If you can defeat him, then you will earn one of the best Infamous Monsters in the game. He can be defeated despite the odds at this point of the game. With him, return to the Monster Arena with Talos as the lead monster of your team and complete Rank C. The other two spots can be filled by Hackzilla, Potbelly, or Brickman depending on your preference, but remember to have Talos in the team.
After completing Rank C, it will be some time before you can comfortably tackle Rank B.
Part 4: Rank B, the Real Challenge
After completing the events at the Dark Ruins and gaining access to Arcadia, you will look for two new monsters for Rank B.
- Dumbking the Notso Macho - Head east of Argonia along the small river close to the castle. You will run into Dumbking closer towards the ocean. Defeat him and add him to your monster team. Note: Dumbking can be obtained earlier than this point if you wish. He will always be in this location.
- Curer the Cureslime - Curer can be found in two areas in the portion of the world map between Arcadia and the entrance to the Orkutsk region. He will either be straight north of Arcadia in the forest area, or will appear next to the Autumn Chapel in the forest. The chapel is north of Rydon's Tower and can be found by following the path. Defeat him and have him join your monster team. Note: Curer WILL NOT appear in either location until you have completed Rank F of the Monster Arena.
With Dumbking and Curer, add them to your monster team in the second and third spots respectively, with Talos in the first spot. Dumbking has access to Oomph, and will help Talos or himself defeat your foes in Rank B with ease. Curer has access to Fullheal, which will keep your monsters healthy.
Rank B is one of, if not the hardest, rank of the Monster Arena, so having Curer is strongly adviced. The opposition will be tough even with the team of Talos, Dumbking, and Curer, but they can win. Once you have completed Rank B, it will be time to hunt for more Infamous Monsters.
Part 5: Your New Best Friends
With Rank B conquered, new Infamous Monsters will appear on the overworld. The following three are the ones to hunt out for the final ranks.
- Skeledoid the Hell Gladiator - Zoom to the Dark Ruins and head towards the western end of the island. In the western valley you will find a Hell Gladiator roaming around. Defeat him and have Skeledoid join your team.
- Steropes the Gigantes - Zoom to Princess Minnie's Castle and head to the beach on the western side of the island. You will find a Gigantes on the beach. Defeat him and have Steropes join your team.
- Octurion the Octavian Sentry - Zoom to Argonia or Neos and head to the beach south of Argonia. You will have to sail to this beach, so either location will work. On the eastern side of the beach you will find an Octavian Sentry roaming around. Defeat him and have Octurion join your team.
Once you have these three Infamous Monsters, return to the Monster Arena.
Part 6: Becoming Champione of Morrie's Monstrous Pit
With your new monsters in tow, it's time to finish off the Monster Arena. Your monsters of choice will consist of the following five:
- Talos - Boasts high HP, strength, and defense. Will always focus on attacking. Best spot in the team: 1st spot.
- Steropes - Boasts high HP and strength. Will always focus on attacking. Can use a Desperate Strike to land critical attacks on the enemy. Has low defense, but his HP can offset this. Best spot on the team: 1st spot.
- Skeledoid - Boasts high attack power and defense, can attack up to two times in a turn, has a variant of his normal attack that boosts his damage output, and sometimes his attacks will put the enemy to sleep. Has standard HP, but is offset by all his positives. Best spot on the team: 2nd spot. DO NOT PUT SKELEDOID IN 1ST SPOT. He does not have the HP pool to handle it.
- Octurion - Only has average stats and HP, but makes up for it by having access to both Fullheal and Zing. May use Multithrust in turns, which can lower his MP pool. Best spot on the team: 3rd spot.
- Curer - Has low HP and stats, but has very good agility and can use Fullheal. May waste a turn assessing the situation or attacking when he should heal, sharing this weakness with Octurion above. Best spot on the team: 3rd spot.
These five monsters are your options for Rank A and S. The team order for the 1st and 3rd spot is up to personal preference, but Skeledoid should always be present in the team due to his attack power and high chances to attack twice.
Here are my recommended teams:
- Rank A: Talos, Skeledoid, Octurion
- Rank S: Steropes, Skeledoid, Curer
Steropes is good for Rank S due to the Liquid Metal Slime in the final battle, as his Desperate Strike can one shot the Liquid Metal Slime. You may have to retry Rank S if things go bad in the final match, but keep trying and you will succeed.
With Rank S cleared, you will become champion of the Monster Arena. If you are playing the PS2 version, you will receive the statue on the Monster Arena roof for defeating Morrie, and his personal thanks.
If you are playing the 3DS version, you will receive these rewards and Morrie will join your party as a playable character. If you have followed this guide, this means Morrie will be available as soon as you finish the events of Arcadia.